Some questions on a Marsh I scouted

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Greg4579

Some questions on a Marsh I scouted

Unread postby Greg4579 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:26 am

I have scouted this property 3x now. The first time was back in February and to be honest I had no clue what I was doing. I did see some impressive sign and knew it was really thick. I kept it in mind because it is a marsh property not too far from home, and I think most guys don't want to get their feet wet in there.

I went back in 3 weeks ago after cyber scouting and placed a camera in a small patch of trees marked with a yellow star. I went to retrieve it on Saturday and was pretty disappointing when I checked the card. Deer-wise, I only got a few does. I know there has to be bucks in here so I kept scouting. I found a permanent wooden stand in the back corner, but honestly told myself not to worry about it since the person obviously doesn't want to get their feet wet and just choose somewhere they could easily see and get to. As I walked the transition line of the cattails and the hillside I started to find bed, after bed, after bed. For the most part it doesn't like they are going up the hillside which is insanely thick, but instead all trails walk that transition. My question is this...I was expecting to find beds in the isolated clumps of trees to the east, but I found nothing there and my camera kind of proved it. I did find what I was looking for in the transition, but I am struggling a bit with the "why" aspect. I am also struggling a bit with access, since I know descending down on the hillside is impossible to do and not spook anything. I also do not want to access past the other stand to still be respectful. Any ideas?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Some questions on a Marsh I scouted

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:16 am

I would of expected them to bed in both spots. One big reason they bed in swamp or marsh below a hill is falling evening thermals will tell if there is any danger lurking on the hill. The only advice I can give you about hunting the beds without going there myself is to look at the bedding area, look at the exit trails, and find the closest spot you can get without getting smelled, seen, or heard.
Greg4579

Unread postby Greg4579 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:39 am

I appreciate the feedback Dan. Your comment on the thermals makes perfect as to why they bed at the base of the hill where it meets the marsh sense and gave me another "aha" moment. I plan to get an observation sit to see if I can put together some of the missing pieces before the season starts. I also relocated my camera onto a convergence of a few trails near those bedding areas. It is a pinch point, so I am optimistic it gives me an idea of who is calling this home. I found quite a few buck beds, but no clue if it is one using wind shifts or multiples. I also found some doe bedding mixed in as well.

I intentionally cropped my photo because there are some pretty recognizable landmarks around this. I can say the transition area on the south end of the marsh had 0 beds when I scouted. There is a small woodlot there that again is super thick, and had some well-used trails. On the other side of it is a decent-sized stream.
Brickhouse

Unread postby Brickhouse » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:26 am

One thing I've learned on here is to keep in mind the timing of year the beds are used. Could be they are bedding on that hillside or somewhere completely different since it is so thick but once the foliage and vegetation whithers in the fall they may drop down into that marsh to bed. That could explain why no buck pics yet.
Greg4579

Unread postby Greg4579 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:40 am

Brickhouse wrote:One thing I've learned on here is to keep in mind the timing of year the beds are used. Could be they are bedding on that hillside or somewhere completely different since it is so thick but once the foliage and vegetation whithers in the fall they may drop down into that marsh to bed. That could explain why no buck pics yet.

Great point. Being year one for me this is on my list of a half dozen locations that I have scouted and feel confident to cycle into hunts based upon wind. I really want to use the first sit approach and try not to enter any of these area more than once per month, and even then locate to a new location when I revisit.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:27 am

Good advice from brickhouse.

He brought up a very good point regarding early season foliage. How much human activity does this area get? Deer don't want to wade through muck if they don't have to. Usually it takes human pressure or a predator problem to push them into the thick and nasty bedding areas.
Greg4579

Unread postby Greg4579 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:50 pm

Lockdown wrote:Good advice from brickhouse.

He brought up a very good point regarding early season foliage. How much human activity does this area get? Deer don't want to wade through muck if they don't have to. Usually it takes human pressure or a predator problem to push them into the thick and nasty bedding areas.

This is in suburbia. To the north is a very busy road, to the west is a little league baseball complex. Across the road is hill country, but the traditional bedding areas (military crests) have houses on them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”