Hill Country Timber Cuts

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Hill Country Timber Cuts

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:08 am

I've been doing a ton of cyber scouting recently and I've been checking out an area with a lot of timber cuts(clear cuts and thinning). My question is, is it best to have the cut on the leeward or windward side of the ridge? It makes the most sense to me to have it on the windward side and catch a buck cruising the leeward side in the timber. The alternative would be if the cut is on the leeward side, the buck would have to cruise through the cut.

Curious what those of you with more experience hunting around cuts have observed. Not much logging goes on in my area so I don't have much experience hunting it.

elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: Hill Country Timber Cuts

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:51 pm

Generally speaking cuts alone don't seem to alter deer patterns respective to topography very much. That is until every jabroni out there puts his stand on the edges, corners, and obvious funnels. Then the deer wise up and live 24/7 deep in the thick stuff. Where I hunt virtually all the deer relate to cuts but with a few rare exceptions I do not hunt the edges because they get hammered. I've always done pretty well on areas adjacent to cuts but not direct edges. Trying to become a beast this year and hunting a couple bucks that hole up deep in the slashings. I'm still trying to figure out how to kill those deer.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Kybowhunter

Unread postby Kybowhunter » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:55 pm

Its better if the cut is above that 1/3 elevation line. Theyll bed in the transition line and still have the more open woods below for them to watch. Big sections that have been cut out from the bottom lf the mtn to the top it makes things a bit more tricky. Around here they will use the logging roads and benches left by the dozers in the upper 1/3. Also very subtle seams inside the thicket are good to key in on as well. Unless the log roads are pretty thick and grew up, older bucks will use that seam pretty much exclusively.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:00 am

Good info. So far I've been trying to pick out ridges that connect multiple smaller cuts and marking spots on the leeward side of a saddle along the ridge or a small timbered point jutting out into the cut. I've found a few benches along ridges that have cuts around them and I really feel like they should be golden if I can get the wind to cooperate lower on the ridge where the benches are. I've also marked a few converging ridges with thickets around them.

With the three day weekend coming up, I plan to get out to the area and confirm or bust some of what I've marked up, the rest, I'll scout/hunt during the season.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:11 am

I would walk the edge to look for sign and beds. I would think the deer would stay on the downwind side of the cut unless pressure changes that. Also I'd pay attention to any large trees or briar patches that may be left in the cut as these may be areas deer will seek out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”