help with a topo

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

northeast beast

help with a topo

Unread postby northeast beast » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:55 pm

=http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/jglaubitz/media/95a8fcc4-fb36-4234-a640-b20ece165cda_zpshucnwnr8.png.html]Image[/URL]

looking for some imput on this map. I have dropped a pin on what i think is a saddle..I have been scouting these gentle rolling hills and it is hard to find those beds but I stumbled along this point I marked a few years ago and it always seems to have good activity come the rut.. I am still learning how the topos work. thanks

daveynewman
500 Club

Re: help with a topo

Unread postby daveynewman » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:01 pm

I know exactly where that is I hunt that area also
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:09 pm

daveynewman wrote:I know exactly where that is I hunt that area also

no way i covered the road name with a sumbraroe...good try amigo
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:12 pm

I've studied that map for years since I bought land there in west almond if u want message me I can give u a few good spots
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:23 pm

daveynewman wrote:I've studied that map for years since I bought land there in west almond if u want message me I can give u a few good spots

pm sent :D
MDSikajunkie

Unread postby MDSikajunkie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:57 pm

northeast beast wrote:=http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/jglaubitz/media/95a8fcc4-fb36-4234-a640-b20ece165cda_zpshucnwnr8.png.html]Image[/URL]

looking for some imput on this map. I have dropped a pin on what i think is a saddle..I have been scouting these gentle rolling hills and it is hard to find those beds but I stumbled along this point I marked a few years ago and it always seems to have good activity come the rut.. I am still learning how the topos work. thanks

Yes that is a saddle (low point just left of your cursor) between the two peaks.

Cal topo might help you a little with the understanding of how to "see" the shapes of the topography on a map. Your map has topo lines every 40ft. you can get some more detailed maps with slope shading on cal topo.
try the 7.5 on Cal topo website.

I use that and overlay the SAT image so I can make sense of the terrain features.

Good luck!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:15 pm

northeast beast wrote:

:lol: Nice!

Daveynewman, outstanding gesture and willingness to comment. Congrats northeast beast - For your best interest I suggest learning what to look for and how to apply it vs hunting spots from Daveynewman. Learning from someone that sees the same situations or sign is the best tool iv had.
Good luck
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:22 am

MDSikajunkie wrote:
northeast beast wrote:=http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/jglaubitz/media/95a8fcc4-fb36-4234-a640-b20ece165cda_zpshucnwnr8.png.html]Image[/URL]

Yes that is a saddle (low point just left of your cursor) between the two peaks.

Cal topo might help you a little with the understanding of how to "see" the shapes of the topography on a map. Your map has topo lines every 40ft. you can get some more detailed maps with slope shading on cal topo.
try the 7.5 on Cal topo website.

I use that and overlay the SAT image so I can make sense of the terrain features.

Good luck!

thanks for the help i will check out caltopo
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:36 am

Darkknight54 wrote:
northeast beast wrote:

:lol: Nice!

Daveynewman, outstanding gesture and willingness to comment. Congrats northeast beast - For your best interest I suggest learning what to look for and how to apply it vs hunting spots from Daveynewman. Learning from someone that sees the same situations or sign is the best tool iv had.
Good luck

Hunting beast strikes again. Daveynewman and I have exchanged a few emails. Like I told him so many times guys get uptight and stand offish when it comes to talking areas. I'm a hard worker and will put my boots on the ground and make my own set ups i prefer it that way but it is cool putting the dvds, blogs and now another member who is staring at the same map as me to bounce a few ideas off of. Cheer s to the Beast! :clap:
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:58 am

I know exactly where that spot is as well! I stop there on my way to Ohio, great tacos and margaritas :D
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:30 am

tbunao wrote:I know exactly where that spot is as well! I stop there on my way to Ohio, great tacos and margaritas :D

I have camped there a few times also and great fishing in the big pond

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”