Buck beds downwind of doe beds all year?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BoilerBuck

Buck beds downwind of doe beds all year?

Unread postby BoilerBuck » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:15 am

Thanks to The Beast for great bed scouting info...I've learned a ton from everyone and have started discovering some nice buck beds in a giant swamp area (see two pics below).

*My question is: do bucks bed downwind of doe bedding areas all year typically or is that only during the rut phase? I'm curious if I should start looking for doe bedding near these buck beds even in June. There is a heavy trial crossing about 50 yds north of these beds. Perhaps they're bedding here and smelling what is upwind (these beds are likely for N or NW wind). Thanks in advance. for your help.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Buck beds downwind of doe beds all year?

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:13 am

I have a few scenarios where they do bed down wind of does year round, but seems more coincidental than with a purpose at all times except rut. Those primary (all year) bedding areas shine during the rut.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Dan was curious if when u r saying downwind are u refering to wind direction or thermal. I see a lot of situations with a buck bedding toward top of a brushy drawl does bed a ways down the same drawl. Wind covers his rear from a diff direction he's if facing open woods rising thermals bring the bedded does and anything else that steps foot in there right to him. I possibly could be misreading the situation but it's the only thing that makes sense to me
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:42 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Dan was curious if when u r saying downwind are u refering to wind direction or thermal. I see a lot of situations with a buck bedding toward top of a brushy drawl does bed a ways down the same drawl. Wind covers his rear from a diff direction he's if facing open woods rising thermals bring the bedded does and anything else that steps foot in there right to him. I possibly could be misreading the situation but it's the only thing that makes sense to me

To a deer a wind current / scent stream is a wind current / scent stream... They will use thermals just like wind probably even more so cause thermals are more predictable and reliable than actual wind.
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:48 am

[quote="dan They will use thermals just like wind probably even more so cause thermals are more predictable and reliable than actual wind.[/quote]
Lightbulb moment in head, gotta find some hills near me!!!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:24 am

Very interesting i never would have considered bucks moving by doe bedding areas outside the rut.

I have found beds downwind of doe beds i just assumed they were temporary buck beds for when bucks got tired crusing for does.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:01 am

Iv asked Dan about this a few times... sometimes I think it can be a security to the buck who doesnt mind the does there. Ill upload an example later that I think fits this type of scenario. Or sometimes its just a great bedding area for all deer? Soemtimes the buck beds there on different wind than directly down wind. The does could be there one day and a buck the next, then another buck the next day... I will say this though, I hardly find a mature buck down wind of does. I only have so much exp to say that but just my assumptions based on the sign. Im not saying a buck wont bed down wind of a doe during the rut, but I see what Dan speaks about alot that they adjust to watch the does more so that winding them. I think that varies by situation, terrain, and pressure. In general I think when the buck has his way hed rather watch for them and cruise down wind. My :twocents-twocents:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:11 am

I should clarify that the distance from does is what has me ask the most questions in that situation.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:19 am

I found this spot in my first off season, I think. This is a great example of a few spots iv found asking the same questions. I believe that I asked Dan the normal rookie question was asked about does in bucks beds for this spot. Good times!
I have a few other spots where the does are higher than the bucks. However, in most cases that iv found the does are at lower elevations and most of the time a further distance than pictured. I was able to find rut beds so the puzzle became clearer. Mature bucks like security so every spot is different but in general I havent found a wall hanger that spends time close to does outside of rut activities. I have seen decent young bucks that id be happy to shoot hanging around does especially in early season, twice. One turned out to be a monster 6 pt.
I bumped the does on an off wind, found a few wind shift buck beds but it seemed he preferred a different wind than the does.
This young buck has a great view! Im pretty sure that I decided to eat lunch here that day.
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:13 pm

Killemquietly wrote:[quote="dan They will use thermals just like wind probably even more so cause thermals are more predictable and reliable than actual wind.

Lightbulb moment in head, gotta find some hills near me!!![/quote]
Trust me, hills are hard. I can't tell you how many times I've thought I finally understood and figured it out only to get slapped back to reality. I wish I could find some marsh around me.
I've noticed in the hills I hunt most of the time large doe groups bed on the end of a ridge or a large high point. But they are almost always toward the top edge of elevation. The only thing I can think of is they are using the elevation so they can see more ground. The area is mostly mature hardwoods
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:50 am

Point taken. I usually enjoy the detective work as much as the success. -Almost anyway.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”