Beach Head Tracks

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Scout237
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/joshua.mann.142

Beach Head Tracks

Unread postby Scout237 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:23 pm

Disclaimer: This is my second scouting trip of my life. I really need a lot of help learning how to scout and I would appreciate all the help I could get. I pushed my kayak off at 4:30 pm and went 3.5miles to a beach head on the west side of a peninsula (public hunting land). This peninsula has many areas that are no more than 70m in width and I thought it was going to be as simple as walking across these choke points and finding a good game trail. It was definitely not that simple. Half of it was impenetrable, other than the coves there is no access (clifs and rocks) I forgot food, storms were rolling in and it was 96 degrees. So I didn't scout as much as I would have liked. The peninsula runs from the point I scouted south to the end about a half mile and north opens up to a lot of land.

I scouted 2 points so Ill ask about this one first.

When I kayaked into this cove there were tracks running all along the beach. A lot of them. Running both directions ( if they were going one way, they were always running the other) . I entered at the center point of the cove and the tracks ran to my left for 50m. They stopped at thick brush, I saw no good trails and if they had gone through would have lead up to a point in the terrain 100m away. Center of me there was tracks running into a small clearing that lead into some smaller game trails. The trails were kinda of hard to follow and I kept losing them and picking them back up through medium thick brush and few areas were open enough to get any shots through the brush from a tree stand.

The tracks that lead to the right on the beach head went for 100m and then broke left into a very nice open area with trees every 25m and bedding signs I believe they are bedding to the right and moving center to feed.

Would these deer be hitting the beach during the day?
Is this a viable spot? If so what time should I hunt it ( the bedding sites face the beach head and if present they could see me coming in)?
How should I proceed with future scouting in this area?
Seeing as how season starts Oct 22nd archery only should I scout more?

Im just looking to fill the freezer so doe or buck is fair game.

Im new to forums so I hope this wasn't to much info.

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Beach Head Tracks

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:38 pm

Welcome to the Beast!! It's little difficult for me to visualize but the best part is you said you have heavy sign, water source, and great access. Couple things:
*Post ariel and/or topo if there are hills. Try and black out anything on the map that gives away location and mark what you have found on the map (caltopo.com is a great mapping site)
*In your inbox is a welcome message, should explain how to upload pics.
*You need to check out at the top of Deer Hunting forum and read through Best Tactical Threads. There is more knowledge in there that years of hunting.
*Scouting:
Plan your route for the easiest walking to cover most ground and gather the most intel. Walk the edges of transitions, more than thru them. You will catch more sign and if you Map it as you go, you can add the pieces together later. Essentially, you want to scout during season as you hunt but really the day the season ends - I am on it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by <DK> on Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Beach Head Tracks

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:48 pm

To add onto it, you did not mention any human sign that is a plus. This close to the season, I personally am worried about pressure from scouting too much, so choose days when it's raining. If I had to go in blind w that intel you gave, I would go setup at that transition where the trails split off or at the water and hunt it the first couple days. Scout as I hunt, and hunt from the outside in. If you can post pics, maybe there are some way better spots.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”