Blocking and manipulating trails

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Blocking and manipulating trails

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:26 am

I did some of this back in March while setting up some new stand sites...on 3-4 trees I had identified as being where I wanted to put my stand, some of the trails either went directly underneath or too close for comfort to my tree....I cut down large branches or moved downed branches to block the trails and hoping to reroute the deer to a better shot position and away from the base of my tree.

Has anyone else ever tried this? I read about this tactic in Mapping Trophy Bucks where Herdon did it but on a larger scale and read that he also creates trails to help direct deer in the directions he wants.

Curious about anyone who has had success (or failure) with this as well as at what point prior to season would it be too late to do this and harm your chances?

Another tactic I am trying is to buildup a "wall" of branches around the base of the trees to maybe prevent deer from at least sniffing the base...I know this does stop all scent at the stand site but figured it may help some.

Even thought the spots might only get hunted a few times, I think this goes into the category of every little thing I can do to help my chances.

Any other thoughts appreciated.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Re: Blocking and manipulating trails

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:48 am

I opened a few trails years back to funnel deer to an ideal access set. Shot my biggest bow buck because of it. A suburban pocket is great for opening small trails and blocking existing deer trails to refunnel. This past year, I did a ton of manipulating work. Hopefully, I'll have a story to write. I'm sure it works anywhere with a little thinking and to a certain extent.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:40 am

MAKING A TRAIL WORKS MUCH BETTER THAN BLOCKING ONE... Hard to keep deer from going where they want. One thing that I have done successfully for others is to put up snow fence. They will jump it sometimes but two fences 4 feet apart deters that.
I have not done fence funneling on my property cause for me its about killing them on there terms... But it does work.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:54 am

It can be as simple as driving a truck or atv in the snow. They'd rather walk in the vehicle tracks rather than bust their own trail. I've used this method to kill deer as they moved from bed to food....drove the wheeler back in some dogwood and then to the plot.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:01 am

I've done it with a dr mower in overgrown fields and it does work. I've also sprayed round up on trails. It will kill vegetation down to dirt making it easy to read track size. I hunted a big 8 point one year that I found out about from his big track on one of my sprayed trails. Never did kill him. I had a couple pics of him walking my sprayed trails during daylight mid November when I wasn't there. I put the cam up after I saw the track. It works really good in crp type fields

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:24 am

What is the latest or closest to owning day you would do any manipulation like
this? Spring? July? August?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:34 am

mheichelbech wrote:What is the latest or closest to owning day you would do any manipulation like
this? Spring? July? August?

For mowing or spraying deer trails may-August. I've sprayed them in May before with a strong mixture of round up and water and it stayed bare till the next spring. I usually mow the trails in August. When I had a crp contract the only time they allowed mowing was the month of august

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:54 am

I have been manipulating trails my whole life. Normally you can get them to scoot around something (one common thing I do is "steer" them to give me a better shot angle) but blocking them completely is tough.

I've piled brush before and walked away satisfied only to have a deer snake right through it. Had a big buck jump one of my diversions while chasing a doe once too.

I most often try and block trails when they're too close to my tree. It usually works but you HAVE to make it thick.

mastermind

Unread postby mastermind » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:19 am

I use it all the time, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.... in my mind it works every time but in reality...nope. lol. The key I think is to make the brush pile kinda high and wide, a few branches here and there just won't do it. I've had it backfire also, completely changed trail all together and I had no shot whatsoever.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DO WORK SON!
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:45 am

I've done it some. Usually when there are multiple runways and one or more would take the deer a little out of range or downwind of the tree for the wind I plan on hunting. I'll make just a subtle barricade to hopefully get them used to going the direction I want. As others have said, sometimes it works sometimes not. But I'll take sometimes over never.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:57 am

Just got in from hanging a stand behind the house. It's about 75 yds inside the woods just off an inside corner. There are a few trails using this corner but because a couple are close to the stand I cut new shooting lanes and used that brush to steer the previous trails out into a better shooting spot

Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:50 pm

I'm planning on opening up 2 trails winding through some thick saplings about 150-200 feet wide where the deer already use the area to cross. Thinking to provide an easier trail will help manipulate the buck movement to an easier to hunt spot.

The deer come up a draw and if I set up on the draw side of the thicket, my scent will be pulled down into the draw in the evening. Hunting the other side of the thicket appears to have a different thermal flow - away from the draw. Setting up 2 easy to use trails for them 18-24 inches or so wide may help funnel the animals...
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:25 pm

I tried last summer, but I think it was too late in the year. I feel like it hurt more than it helped. I might have cut too many trees and got too much scent in the area.

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:43 pm

We do a lot of this in Florida when we were hunting leases. Like dan said making a trail is much easier then blocking a trail. I prefer to know what I want to do and make notes during season then come back at the end of the season when i could care less if I stink an area up and really take my time and my blocks super thick and tall. just knocking down some limbs and piling them never worked for me.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Hoss606

Unread postby Hoss606 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:56 pm

I have done this before and still do it. I noticed a few years ago after a tree had fallen over a trail the deer would walk around it, some through it. Now if I find a tree that is a little to far from a trail I am cutting I will pile some branches from what I cut for shooting lanes and other dead stuff. In an attempt to bring them a few yards closer. Never tried to get the away from my tree but it has happened lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”