Where's The Buck? 4

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Wlog
500 Club

Re: Where's The Buck? 4

Unread postby Wlog » Sat May 07, 2016 2:29 am

Good looking spot. If you can access from the south now, I would consider an observation stand right where the eastern finger makes an "L" . I'd sit it on a south or SSE wind and let your scent blow out over the eastern most field and watch the field between the two fingers. With the bedding being so close to the field edges on narrow strips of cover like this. I'd be hesitant to place a bunch of trail cams around that field.

I would sit back and observe on a couple different wind directions from the spot I mentioned, if possible, to try and confirm your scouting. Just my .02 cents. Good luck Lockdown!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Sat May 07, 2016 5:14 am

Very unique looking property. Looks like there are some really nice bucks calling it home.

How well can you observe this piece during the summer months from long distance?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat May 07, 2016 5:42 am

Wlog that's not a bad idea but it is pretty close to bedding... A couple hundred yards. I'd be worried something would feed over towards me and I'd get busted getting out. I like the way you think though.

My original plan for observing was going to be from the south on the minimum maintenance road. Especially when the corn on the west side is short enough to see deer. I'll attach another pic
You can see that grassy finger that runs NW/SE... There's doe bedding East of that, and some thick stuff on the private that's off limits. There are a couple cuts they like to use to access the field there. If I park strait south of the South finger I can watch both sides, and also West a ways.

Once the corn is chest high, I'm more likely to cautiously use Wlog's approach. When I go back to hang stands I'll be paying close attention to low spots and what areas look to be the best for observation.

Wlog as far as the cams go, I more than likely would hang them over bedding trails or the beds themselves to get specific intel on who is using them and what winds they're using them with. I'd probably have one that I leave all year, and maybe I'd pull the second one after my first hunt. I'm still working on the details, but I'm dying to get bedding intel with cams. Even if it's detrimental for the 2016 season (I don't think it will be if done correctly) I feel the risk is worth the reward.

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat May 07, 2016 6:37 am

Setting the cams early and leaving them alone for future knowledge would be a great idea. I just meant that I wouldn't set them and check them often. If you can see well from the road then I also agree that's your best option for observation. The spot I picked to observe from, I was thinking of an in season place to observe from that you could even possibly kill from...like watch for a day and move in for the kill based on what you see.

I don't know if you are the only guy with permission there or not but if so, I wouldn't assume bucks won't come out in that field before dark. If it's the main food source and they're bedding within 50 yards of the edge and they remain undisturbed, you can wait for a good moon day or cold front, etc. and setup directly across the field from expected bed and roll the dice.
I have a spot very similar to this and its worked for me very well. They are so hard to get close to because of how close they are bedded to the field that you have to sit back and leave them be until they get comfortable enough to cross that field in daylight. It works I've done it. If you aren't the only guy there though, you got to roll the dice and go for the kill and bounce from bed to bed and more or less stack the bedding areas.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”