Scout more parcels, or get more info on already scouted land

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Re: Scout more parcels, or get more info on already scouted

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:29 am

Stanley wrote:I think Dan hit on the head, anytime you enter a bucks bedding area you do damage. So knowing this should give you an idea on how to kill the buck. Know the land like the back f your hand!!!!! If you know where the bucks bed and you know where the bucks feeds you have the two main ingredients. You can kill a buck without disturbing his bedding area if you know from experience where he is bedding.

This all plays into my low impact style. I like to have a property practically memorized. This way if there is a buck in the area I have a good idea of how to kill him. Hey.... it is never a given but sure helps not going in blind.

Stanley, that is how I have always hunted my private land. But chasing mature bucks on public land has really gotten under my skin. The aggressive style of setting up close to beds really ads new levels of excitement for me. I guess even though I have great private land in a great part of WI I was getting a bit bored. The new tactics and scenery has really revitalized my love for bow hunting.

Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:07 am

Since I started this thread I have scouted 4 more properties and re-scouted another 2. I am scouting as much as I can now because in another 2 weeks max I will be super busy at work. But until then I am enjoying scouting "full time";)
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:26 pm

You can also mix in some blind hunts throughout the season, I've had several encounters with nice bucks like this over the years. Pick an aerial that looks interesting, take your best guess at bedding, get the wind so it doesn't bust you and scout your way in and setup. It's a fun way to learn a property on the fly and gets you in the game if you don't have a ton of land or beds figured out.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:54 pm

Depends how confident I am with it. Generally speaking walking a property the second time I know exactly what I want to look at or try my entrance route and haul tail over to it not wasting time. Im not as good as Dan and other elites things don't come automatically . I usually think about things I seen scouting all the time, at work, mowing the lawn, alot. I get new ideas and going a second time just to see if it changes the second time is good for me. A practice of access and milkweed on the same wind I plan to hunt are priceless also. Someday I hope to skip the 2nd trip but for now I go.

One thing I'll add is I might scout 8 properties but only 4 get me super excited. Ill only hit the 4 up again and hunt them when I feel it's prime for that set. I fill in the rest with so-so days. That's just a example. Right now I have a rotation of spots I never use all of but every year I try to hit a few new ones some turn out and some dont. spot check/shed hunt the best of my normal spots which occasion go cold.

That's how I approach. But I view walking 10000 acres as really only 200 or less most of it is night activity.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:46 pm

More great advice, thanks.

Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:14 pm

This year I have really started to pay attention to the smallest details while scouting. I would like to scout an area just once, but I always end up going back for a second time in there. It always amazes me what details I might have missed the first time. That's probably all part of the learning process though.

I also really like trying to know EVERYTHING about the area. If I go in for a hunt, see the targeted buck, and don't kill him. I want to be able to know what he is doing and where I can go in next time and set up to kill him. For me, that is only done with knowing how everything is laid out in a certain area.

Once I feel that I am confident in an area, I will start pushing on to new areas and properties.
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:00 am

I have been thinking of making a check list of all that u wanna look for to make it second nature to be in one time an be more efficient but trying to figure how to do that without a lot of paper.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mortego

Unread postby mortego » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:33 am

TNstalker wrote:I have been thinking of making a check list of all that u wanna look for to make it second nature to be in one time an be more efficient but trying to figure how to do that without a lot of paper.

Smart phone.

Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:15 pm

TNstalker wrote:I have been thinking of making a check list of all that u wanna look for to make it second nature to be in one time an be more efficient but trying to figure how to do that without a lot of paper.

Burn a DVD...

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”