Scouting with Snow...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mibowhunter
500 Club

Scouting with Snow...

Unread postby mibowhunter » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:05 pm

I am thinking about doing some hiking/scouting this weekend, but we just got hit with some more snow. Unfortunatley it is one of the very few weekends I can go, so I'm still going to take advantage of it. But scrapes/beds might be tough to find if there's a few inches of snow, right? (and i'm primarily scouting for hunting during the rut) What do you guys look for then? I'm a bit disappointed that it snowed, up until yesterday the ground was bare and we ended up getting a nice bit more than was expected - not sure that it will be gone by the weekend. But I figure scouting with snow is still better than sitting on the couch. What would you guys be looking for?

Dewey

Re: Scouting with Snow...

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:23 pm

You might want to check out this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34677

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:36 pm

I have done some scouting with the snow on the ground, it is kind of frustrating unless you find an active bedding area or a scrape still active to confirm your findings. You can kind of tell if you find a bed. When I scouted a marsh that was still snow covered I focused on the points and bowls Dan covered in chapter 3. I took my time. I found what I thought were beds. Marked them all on my GPS. My plan is to come back as soon as the snow is gone and confirm my findings and perp trees. Now that I have this much mapped out I can save time and go right to my markes.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:46 pm

My buddy and I were in the same situation last weekend with the snow. We still went out, and were glad we did. It still was a very productive day. If you are scouting any type swamps or marches, I really look for the raised ground spots that are not getting wet. You will still be able to somewhat see if it looks like a bed. One of the best tips I have read about looking for beds in the snow, was from Singing Bridge. He had mentioned he would scrape the snow away from the suspected bed and check to see if there was hair in it under the snow. After reading that, I have done that everyday out scouting when there has been snow on the ground and have had good results.
mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:10 am

Dewey wrote:You might want to check out this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34677

Ugh sorry guys, I completely missed that thread. Apologies..... Thanks Dewey!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”