Learning how to scout beast style

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

adam2599

Learning how to scout beast style

Unread postby adam2599 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:32 am

Im trying to learn how to scout like you guys. I have a couple places that are public land that I can scout. But need to learn how to scout beast style first. I know there are DVDs I can get from here but money is really tight for me right now. Ive been looking through the forum. Can anyone point me to a post that shows how to start scouting. Thanks for any advice.

Beast-Mode

Re: Learning how to scout beast style

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:41 am

I would read through scouting section and see what catches your eye. Also what kind of terrian are your in? That may help people steer you in the right direction.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Last edited by Beast-Mode on Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:46 am

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
adam2599

Unread postby adam2599 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:23 am

I am in hill type country

adam2599

Unread postby adam2599 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:23 am

Thanks hunter_mike

Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:44 am

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:28 am

Watch the FREE video's in the link Jeff posted and read the posts in the all time best tactical threads viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24471
adam2599

Unread postby adam2599 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:30 am

thanks guys
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:09 am

Good luck adam! Your adrenaline will be going when you find that first big buck bed!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:47 pm

Take this with a Grain of salt, but you get what you pay for and don't get me wrong I completely understand being strapped for cash. I have learned a ton from reading the forum and a talking with a few guys that have helped me with my specific terrain, but watching the two DVDs has really helped put some pieces together mainly because I know what questions I want to ask. That said I have no where near figured out how to scout like a beast, but I am having way, way, way more success scouting now then before.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:06 pm

Think like a buck, not a hunter, not a doe. If you were the biggest buck in the area where would you feel the most safe? Maybe its 2 miles back into a wet swamp, maybe its 50 yds from the road in an untouched thicket. Go there, no matter what it takes. Bucks feel safe when they have water between them and their predators, when they're at higher elevations, when they have sneaky escape routes, etc. Don't do what all the typical hunters do. Read, read, read this site and Scout as much as you possibly can. The more you walk through an area, the more you pickup and learn. Take your time and slow down when scouting!!

DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:06 pm

Think like a buck, not a hunter, not a doe. If you were the biggest buck in the area where would you feel the most safe? Maybe its 2 miles back into a wet swamo, maybe its 50 yds from the road in an untouched thicket. Go there, no matter what it takes. Bucks feel safe when they have water between them and their predators, when they're at higher elevations, when they have sneaky escape routes, etc. Don't do what all the typical hunters do. Read, read, read this site and Scout as much as you possibly can. The more you walk through an area, the more you pickup and learn. Take your time and slow down when scouting!!

IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:20 pm

First off, Welcome!
I found The Beast late last August, and had/have a LOT of catching up to do. I had a pretty solid base of how deer traveled through terrain and why, but I had NEVER focused on bedding. I was a funnel/travel/food source/rut hunter.
My first recommendation is do not give up, and do not get discouraged. Even if you don't find specific beds, or defined staging areas... You will have still learned a LOT about the area you scouted. Not finding a bed does not make a scouting trip a failure.
I find (and this may just be me) beds in old field type vegetation the easiest for me to find. Matted grass is just a more obvious indicator than matted leaves for me. I also find a lot of north Texas bucks love bedding in small pieces of structure in exactly that type of vegetation.
In hill country, thermals AND wind directions will play TOGETHER to create some unique conditions. There are some very technical threads here that cover a lot on that subject. My area is pretty flat, so that is all Greek to me.
Observation stands can put a lot of things together for you, and don't be afraid to utilize them during the season. Better to observe an evening than barreling into a set that you don't fully understand.

The guys on here are literally the best out there. They will happily answer more questions than you ever thought you would have. Don't hesitate to post questions about things you don't understand. And, get really familiar with the search function, better to dig up an old thread with a new post than start a whole new one.

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:32 pm

Try not to get overwhelmed by the amount of info on here... take your time and really try and get the concepts down. Buy the videos and start looking at aerials of land you would like to hunt. Also, dont overlook the little details in the videos or any info on here. Ive noticed the little details are what can make or break your success.

Welcome to the BEAST!

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:08 am

I don't know much about hill country, I hunt marshes so I can't help you there. I will say to be patient and read everything you can on this site, and try to use it in your area. Last year was my first season beast style and I had a hard time finding beds, but after a season it's getting much easier for me and I'm sure it will for you too

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”