Google maps

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Outdoor814
500 Club
Posts: 1620
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:36 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline

Re: Google maps

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:58 pm

anyone familiar with mytopo? Just discovered it and it's pretty neat.

Are there any sites where you can layer a topo map over a satellite image?

I apologize if all my questions are bothering anyone.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image


Joe™
User avatar
Tufrthnails
500 Club
Posts: 2808
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:40 pm
Location: Knee deep in FL Muck!
Status: Offline

Re: Google maps

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:00 pm

Caltopo.com has a layering function. There is a thread on here somewhere about using the site.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
User avatar
mihunter101
Posts: 465
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:33 pm
Location: SE Michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Google maps

Unread postby mihunter101 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:04 pm

Outdoor814 wrote:Is there a way to get topos on google maps, or do you need to use a different map site? I've been messing with it but I'm not very tech savvy

[ Post made via iPad ] Image


Google maps, or Google Earth? They're not the same thing. On Google Earth, you can import the kml file from this link http://www.earthpoint.us/TopoMap.aspx to add topo maps.
User avatar
mihunter101
Posts: 465
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:33 pm
Location: SE Michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Google maps

Unread postby mihunter101 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:06 pm

Tufrthnails wrote:Caltopo.com has a layering function. There is a thread on here somewhere about using the site.


What he said. Caltopo is quickly becoming my new favorite mapping site.
Outdoor814
500 Club
Posts: 1620
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:36 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline

Re: Google maps

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:15 pm

mihunter101 wrote:
Tufrthnails wrote:Caltopo.com has a layering function. There is a thread on here somewhere about using the site.


What he said. Caltopo is quickly becoming my new favorite mapping site.



I agree I'm playing with it right now. The satellite image seems to be pretty up to date as we'll witch is a plus.

I'm trying to grasp the whole thermal thing. I've been reading the threads about them and trying to put it all together in the places I've been scouting. A lot of the swamps I've located beds, but also have steep hillsides. I haven't found any hillside beds yet but if I do I want to be able to find out how the water features are going to affect the thermals in that area. It's a lot of work and at times confusing but everyone here has been a huge help and everything is slowly starting to sink in. It's a huge eye opener and is changing my game drastically! I really appreciate all the help.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Joe™
the g1
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:33 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Google maps

Unread postby the g1 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:37 pm

Outdoor814 wrote:
the g1 wrote:https://www.arcgis.com/home/index.html
Try this link. Click map at the top and when the map opens set the base map to imagery. ArcGIS has a contract with bing, so when you zoom in you get an aerial image . The image is usually good and fairly new.

[ Post made via Android ] Image




That's really cool I had no idea about either maps. Thanks for the heads up!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Now in the top right corner of the map click modify map and it will give you the option to add layers. If you type WayneNationalForest in that format you can see the public land ownership map I am working on. I am going to put together a map of all the public land. It will take some time to merge All the different files, but when I finish it will be a transparent map of all the public land for free to anyone who wants it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Outdoor814
500 Club
Posts: 1620
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:36 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline

Re: Google maps

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:47 pm

the g1 wrote:
Outdoor814 wrote:
the g1 wrote:https://www.arcgis.com/home/index.html
Try this link. Click map at the top and when the map opens set the base map to imagery. ArcGIS has a contract with bing, so when you zoom in you get an aerial image . The image is usually good and fairly new.

[ Post made via Android ] Image




That's really cool I had no idea about either maps. Thanks for the heads up!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Now in the top right corner of the map click modify map and it will give you the option to add layers. If you type WayneNationalForest in that format you can see the public land ownership map I am working on. I am going to put together a map of all the public land. It will take some time to merge All the different files, but when I finish it will be a transparent map of all the public land for free to anyone who wants it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image




Yours are the g1gis2010 maps? What exactly you got going on there? Can you explain.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Joe™
the g1
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:33 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Google maps

Unread postby the g1 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:59 pm

The blocks are federal property. When it is done I will have all the state and federal property merged into a single file. I will be it about 80% transparent so it can be put over the imagery basemap. It will just show the boundaries of all the public land. I can also make a isoline layer so it can be used like a topo map over the image also.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Outdoor814
500 Club
Posts: 1620
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:36 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline

Re: Google maps

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:04 pm

That's exactly what I'm trying to do is seperate the state game land, wildlife refuge, and private land. Then layer a topo over all properties and have it on a satellite image.


So pretty much the same thing.

Could I also do this on the caltopo site?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Joe™
DaHunter
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:16 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Google maps

Unread postby DaHunter » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:20 pm

Check out hillmap.com. GREAT site. It even has a caltopo integration. Caltopo is the real deal too.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
User avatar
seazofcheeze
500 Club
Posts: 3158
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:13 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Status: Offline

Re: Google maps

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:22 pm

DaHunter wrote:Check out hillmap.com. GREAT site. It even has a caltopo integration. Caltopo is the real deal too.

[ Post made via Android ] Image


X2 on Hillmap

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Outdoor814
500 Club
Posts: 1620
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:36 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline

Re: Google maps

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:08 am

Thanks guys I'll check it out for sure!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Joe™


  • Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mike_mc and 1 guest