Google maps

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Outdoor814
500 Club

Google maps

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:20 am

Does anyone know if there is a way to update your maps? I've noticed that when I'm looking the images are from sometime last summer. I only know this because when I look at my buddies house I can see where we did a large portion of yard work that is topsoil. the entire area is full of grass now and has been since spring of 2015.

Any help

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Joe™
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Google maps

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:23 am

Outdoor814 wrote:Does anyone know if there is a way to update your maps? I've noticed that when I'm looking the images are from sometime last summer. I only know this because when I look at my buddies house I can see where we did a large portion of yard work that is topsoil. the entire area is full of grass now and has been since spring of 2015.

Any help

Currently you can't update to date. Maps are updated every few years. I get excited when my home state is due for its new aerial year. You can go back though using GIS, Google earth, etc though.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:25 am

Up on the top left there is a sliding scale for different dates the maps were made. Good for looking at different years and or change of seasons to get different views. Pretty sure the default when you first bring it up is always the latest map taken.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:28 am

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

Joe™
Bow_Badger

Unread postby Bow_Badger » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:03 am

Dewey wrote:Up on the top left there is a sliding scale for different dates the maps were made. Good for looking at different years and or change of seasons to get different views. Pretty sure the default when you first bring it up is always the latest map taken.

dewey do you know if that is just pc that you can do that? I can't find that on my phone. That's an awesome tool and never knew you could do that. Thanks

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:19 am

Bheckel8 wrote:
Dewey wrote:Up on the top left there is a sliding scale for different dates the maps were made. Good for looking at different years and or change of seasons to get different views. Pretty sure the default when you first bring it up is always the latest map taken.

dewey do you know if that is just pc that you can do that? I can't find that on my phone. That's an awesome tool and never knew you could do that. Thanks

Only on PC. Too bad because I wish I had that option in the field when scouting.

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:42 am

Just a heads up but it seems to me that bing maps is updated a lot more often. Could just be me and my areas. I use google earth for marking and plotting because it's so easy but I bounce back and forth between bing, caltopo, and google earth for scouting.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:56 am

I mostly use iPad at home. I don't own a PC. Most of the time I would rather drop kick my phone into the weeds before trying to navigate maps with that thing. I'll be checking bing maps for sure though.

Thanks again!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Joe™
tcjohnsonjacks

Unread postby tcjohnsonjacks » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:07 pm

[quote="Outdoor814"]I mostly use iPad at home. I don't own a PC. Most of the time I would rather drop kick my phone into the weeds before trying to navigate maps with that thing. I'll be checking bing maps for sure though.

I also mainly use my Ipad, but bing maps has not been working on it for probably the last couple months. Now I mainly use google maps.
tcjohnsonjacks

Unread postby tcjohnsonjacks » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:07 pm

[quote="Outdoor814"]I mostly use iPad at home. I don't own a PC. Most of the time I would rather drop kick my phone into the weeds before trying to navigate maps with that thing. I'll be checking bing maps for sure though.

I also mainly use my Ipad, but bing maps has not been working on it for probably the last couple months. Now I mainly use google maps.
the g1

Unread postby the g1 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:17 pm

https://www.arcgis.com/home/index.html
Try this link. Click map at the top and when the map opens set the base map to imagery. ArcGIS has a contract with bing, so when you zoom in you get an aerial image . The image is usually good and fairly new.

Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:25 pm

the g1 wrote:https://www.arcgis.com/home/index.html
Try this link. Click map at the top and when the map opens set the base map to imagery. ArcGIS has a contract with bing, so when you zoom in you get an aerial image . The image is usually good and fairly new.

That's really cool I had no idea about either maps. Thanks for the heads up!

Joe™
Bow_Badger

Unread postby Bow_Badger » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:58 pm

Dewey wrote:
Bheckel8 wrote:

Only on PC. Too bad because I wish I had that option in the field when scouting.

yea that would be nice, maybe someday

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:47 pm

Bheckel8 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Bheckel8 wrote:

yea that would be nice, maybe someday

I'm sure it's out there from other mapping sites just takes too much time to locate it out in the field.

Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:49 pm

Is there a way to get topos on google maps, or do you need to use a different map site? I've been messing with it but I'm not very tech savvy

Joe™

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”