Bed Cell Cam

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wickedbruiser
500 Club

Re: Bed Cell Cam

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:46 pm

Cool stuff. Looking forward to seeing a buck laying down. Something about a bedded buck that hypes me up

[ Post made via Android ] Image

BigCedarJack
500 Club

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:41 pm

2 Thumps Up!
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:13 pm

Great thread. How long have you had this camera and how do you like it?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:32 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:Great thread. How long have you had this camera and how do you like it?

This will be the 3rd season with the camera, it's worked well so far. There are times when it will have pics saved to the card that never got sent to the email/phone but we also don't have a great cell signal in the area. Where it is now I only had 1 bar on my cell phone, and the property I've used it in the past if I was lucky I'd get 2, generally calls are dropped but texts go through so guessing with better coverage would reduce the number of pics not sent. The pics saved to the SD card are very good daytime, night pics are what's expected from a black flash cam. The only issue I've ran into is when the card fills it won't overwrite like selected, it stops taking pics all together and shuts down sending pics, you then have to reset all settings. It tends to default to sending 1 pic per day. Other than small things has worked well.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:22 am

This will be a great thread! Can't wait for all the pictures and updates.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:28 am

Nice job thus far.

One thing I've found with the cell cams and beds, is I am starting to prefer to set them on the trails leading into the bed(s). Like you, alot of buck beds I find have a few beds within a small confine that they use rather than just one matted bed (I'm not talking doe bedding, but clearly buck bedding in a small sq ft area). In those situations it is hard to "pick the right bed" so to speak, and as a result, you only get half or less of the actual bedding activity on cam because it can't cover both or all beds in that spot. By backing up to the trails just outside the bedding itself, you can usually ID a bottleneck somewhere, where you'll catch a higher frequency of the bucks coming in/leaving. Obviously it gets complicated with multiple entry/exits, but it's just as much art as science.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:42 am

phade wrote:Nice job thus far.

One thing I've found with the cell cams and beds, is I am starting to prefer to set them on the trails leading into the bed(s). Like you, alot of buck beds I find have a few beds within a small confine that they use rather than just one matted bed (I'm not talking doe bedding, but clearly buck bedding in a small sq ft area). In those situations it is hard to "pick the right bed" so to speak, and as a result, you only get half or less of the actual bedding activity on cam because it can't cover both or all beds in that spot. By backing up to the trails just outside the bedding itself, you can usually ID a bottleneck somewhere, where you'll catch a higher frequency of the bucks coming in/leaving. Obviously it gets complicated with multiple entry/exits, but it's just as much art as science.

I agree with the above, but in this case I more wanted to just get pics of the bucks using the bedding than how they're entering/exiting. It's a pretty easy setup to hunt, there is a road to the east so they're going to exit west most likely. From the stand I have marked even without a shot I can see anything exiting west and set up accordingly if needed on the trail being used.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:30 pm

purebowhunting wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:Great thread. How long have you had this camera and how do you like it?

This will be the 3rd season with the camera, it's worked well so far. There are times when it will have pics saved to the card that never got sent to the email/phone but we also don't have a great cell signal in the area. Where it is now I only had 1 bar on my cell phone, and the property I've used it in the past if I was lucky I'd get 2, generally calls are dropped but texts go through so guessing with better coverage would reduce the number of pics not sent. The pics saved to the SD card are very good daytime, night pics are what's expected from a black flash cam. The only issue I've ran into is when the card fills it won't overwrite like selected, it stops taking pics all together and shuts down sending pics, you then have to reset all settings. It tends to default to sending 1 pic per day. Other than small things has worked well.

Thanks for the reply. One of my suppliers carries that camera (out of stock right now) so I was curious about it.

http://www.trailcampro.com/covertscodeb ... eview.aspx said "One or two bars of reception will not be good enough for this camera." Good to hear your experience with transmitting pics.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:19 am

A little action this morning, first before daybreak a doe passed through.
At daybreak got a pic of the 8 point from last week.
Then the 6 point from last week.
No bedding at this spot so far, these deer are all headed south which puts them headed to the south bed or out to the corn at first light.

chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:54 am

Id be curious to see the difference in bedding when there are beans in that field instead. Compare the two.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:56 am

I would of put the camera up higher... They are seeing the camera, and I think that may be influencing where they bed.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:38 am

dan wrote:I would of put the camera up higher... They are seeing the camera, and I think that may be influencing where they bed.

I was noticing that too. The camera is low and they are looking right at it.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:20 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:
dan wrote:I would of put the camera up higher... They are seeing the camera, and I think that may be influencing where they bed.

I agree, that would be ideal but the bedding is under a white pine with tamrack all around. Higher than about 4 ft would put it into limbs so all I had to work with was a stick-n-pic. It's next to a dead stump and just above the knee high brush, that was a concern setting it up and looks to be a problem. When in there you're unable to stand, probably reducing use for sure.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:23 am

purebowhunting wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:

I agree, that would be ideal but the bedding is under a white pine with tamrack all around. Higher than about 4 ft would put it into limbs so all I had to work with was a stick-n-pic. It's next to a dead stump and just above the knee high brush, that was a concern setting it up and looks to be a problem. When in there you're unable to stand, probably reducing use for sure.

Ah... Hard to see that perspective from the pic's.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:38 pm

chasemukluk wrote:Id be curious to see the difference in bedding when there are beans in that field instead. Compare the two.

It would be interesting, this is public property, DNR owned, not sure how the farming rights work but guessing it will be corn most years if not every year, I was corn last season also.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”