A time to kill is near

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

3dog

A time to kill is near

Unread postby 3dog » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:54 pm

Spent most of the weekend working on my parents barn but did get out to scout a little during the doe only season. Sign is really starting to pick-up. Was in some new public and looked at a ridge intersection I picked off a topo. Found 3 or 4 gouged trees and one "shiner" rub next to a leafless scrape. Really excited about this find, have an idea where this one is bedded and he seems ripe for the picking. It's a great time of year to cover some ground and hunt hot sign while the bucks are still holding a pattern.

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Re: A time to kill is near

Unread postby Dor » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:00 pm

I'm getting really itchy too. 2 more days of work then its go time. My brother was out today too and said the same thing.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:24 am

Good luck and keep us posted with updates.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:43 am

3dog wrote:Sign is really starting to pick-up

x2
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:42 am

PredatorTC wrote:
3dog wrote:Sign is really starting to pick-up

x2

Ya, saw a good buck cross the road at 6:58 pm Sat. nite on public up north. About 30 minutes after shooting hours. Went and found his trail coming out of the bedding area, which are thick pines. also found some of his rubs on a faint trail across the road. small but real aggressive, lots of busted branches. Found some slob tracks on the edge of the bedding area. So I set up on the ground there last nite. Too much west in the wind so I hunted right by the road :D No buck but i think I can get onto him yet ;)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:03 am

Drove 150 miles one way yesterday to get a rut stand ready. On the way home 10 min from home my truck broadsided a nice buck at 70mph, no warning. My grill protector has now paid for itself!! It held up to this terrific impact by just bending the one side in about 10 inches. It was after dark in traffic so did not stop but looked this morning but could not find buck. It flew off into the ditch not readily visible plus I could not remember exact location. Hope to see one under better conditions next week.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”