GPS setup ?'s

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
KLEMZ

Re: GPS setup ?'s

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:43 pm

Ha! Thanks! I am just a mapping geek, I don't know why. Anyways...I just posted this on a different thread but maybe it would help you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELz110whDCE

Jackson Marsh wrote:I've been able to add public land boundaries for free, haven't loaded it to the garmin yet, but it works on my gps app.

Download a pdf of the public land you want. Using paint crop out everything that isn't aerial or topo.

Using this free program convert the pdf to jpeg

http://pdf2jpg.net/

In Google Earth use the "add" then select "image overlay". Under link, click on browse and select your previously converted jpeg image.

You'll need to orientated the jpeg using roads, rivers, fields etc. Use the transparency slider to darken and lighten the image until you are certain everything lines up.

Now use the "add path" and phisically trace the outline of the public land boundaries (similar to making a pre-planned route). Once you have the boundaries traced, you can save the file (I emailed it to myself). The kmz file can then be emailed to buddies, imported to a gps app or imported to your garmin handheld. Back it up.

Sounds more difficult than it really is. The hardest part is orienttating the image on google earth.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Thanks for sharing this Jackson Marsh. It will help alot of guys!
For the guys making custom maps for their garmins, you can do this exact procedure and have it as a permanent layer on the custom map you make. Just open the boundry line layer prior to saving the image on Google Earth Pro and it will be part of the map.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:12 am

Any GPS you guys recommend? I have been using Google Maps marking spots on my phone. The points will save to my online maps.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:10 am

I have the track back GPS app. It was only a few bucks to download and works good where I have service

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”