some odd observations shed hunting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter10
500 Club

some odd observations shed hunting

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:41 am

To keep this is as simple as possible I was out with a good friend shed hunting a hill country farm I have permission on and it surprised us on what we found..

We focused on south facing slopes, grassy points, thick scrub inside the bush and spent an hr or so on a picked corn field. we didnt find sheds but the sign was every where. this whole time i was wondering why we werent busting any deer until my friend suggested we go check out a relatively open hardwood section.

This area consisted of a main steep gully system whining towards the farm house in one direction and back towards the large woods (where we had previously been). this whole area is very open and can see through the hardwoods for 200 yds all around. we found multiple beds on the top ridges and knobs and then started kicking up deer all over the place..

What we realized is how these deer picked this area to bed because of obvious sight and smell advantages.

Now heres my dilema, this past fall i hunted the large woods sections and it was unproductive. if deer are bedding in this wide open gully system during the season i feel it is almost impossible to hunt without being detected. I dont have much experience with this type of hill country setting but how do you typically sneak in to these type of areas??

I have thought of these couple plans but dont think they will work anyway

1. sneak in by following the bottom of the gully then sneaking up a side hill and climbing a tree - swirling winds, deer bedded on top ridges of gully will see me

2. setup off on a funnel or ridge system connecting this larger gully system - potential of deer not making it to me in time (being out of the game before i climb a tree)

3. setup right on the gully/food source edge and wait for them to come to me - then im stuck busting deer out of the fields as i leave at dark or on entry in morning

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: some odd observations shed hunting

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:29 pm

I have noticed in the late winter and early spring deer in general (not so much older bucks) are more likely to bed out in open woods than in thick cover. Be aware this probably will not be the same in the fall. In the fall deer bed in more traditional thicker spots. I think its got something to do with a number of things: little human pressure this time of year, snow melting off open areas first, being able to better see predators like coyotes approaching, and being closer to food for instance if there are oaks with acorns left around there...some or all of those factors.

Its hard to do but I just about ignore fresh sign when spring scouting, it can be misleading (unless looking for sheds of course)....only pay attention to sign put down months ago, its almost always a little different.
Bucky

Re: some odd observations shed hunting

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:29 am

They bed in the open woods late winter early spring for the added sunlight and sometimes proximity to food. My opinion is they will not be bedded there come fall

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”