Shed hunting question

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Shed hunting question

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:10 pm

How many bucks typically inhabit areas where sheds are realistically findable? I've been all over 2 areas that I hunt with no success however I don't really think that more than 1 or 2 bucks inhabit either area outside the rut. I haven't been to any of my newer public spots yet so I don't know about those.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
ihookem
500 Club

Re: Shed hunting question

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:24 pm

You might not be in wintering areas. I look where the deer droppings and browsing is heaviest. A guy can look a long time to find a shed too. I have 13.2 mi. so far scouting and shed "huntn". Deer numbers are down too so shed huntn is tough . Back in the day, way up north when I didn't know didly about shed huntn, I found sheds with little problem. Now , the same areas hardly hold deer now .
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:51 pm

mheichelbech wrote:How many bucks typically inhabit areas where sheds are realistically findable? I've been all over 2 areas that I hunt with no success however I don't really think that more than 1 or 2 bucks inhabit either area outside the rut. I haven't been to any of my newer public spots yet so I don't know about those.

I personally find very few bucks using the same areas they were in the rut late season. All my sheds have came from the thick nasty stuff cause that's where most of the bucks move to come late season on the properties I hunt. The thickets with a good food source close by is great for finding sheds in my experience.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:43 pm

I really envy guys who pick up at least a dozen sheds with every scouting trip they take. I have found only 2 stinkin sheds in my 32 years of existence, and found them when I wasn't even looking for them. :roll: :lol:
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:11 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:I really envy guys who pick up at least a dozen sheds with every scouting trip they take. I have found only 2 stinkin sheds in my 32 years of existence, and found them when I wasn't even looking for them. :roll: :lol:

That's pretty much how I find them so don't feel bad. I don't like wasting time looking specifically for sheds because I would rather focus on scouting and not scanning for antlers. If I happen to accidentaly find one I'm happy but don't go out just shed hunting. The ultimate for me would be to find a matching set right in a primary bed. Then I would have something to work with. ;)

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:32 pm

Sheds are fun to find BUT.
Right now I'm trying to scout first and sheds are second. My new areas are challenging enough with limited time to learn the deer movement and beds.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:54 pm

Dewey wrote: I don't like wasting time looking specifically for sheds because I would rather focus on scouting and not scanning for antlers. If I happen to accidentaly find one I'm happy but don't go out just shed hunting.

X2

Thats the way i look at it. I found 2 sheds last year but they were just ones i stumbled upon while scouting and turkey hunting. Sheds are a very nice prize and I understand some peoples obsession with it but to me scouting and hunting is more fun than aimlessly wandering trying to find antlers, especially on public grounds.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:55 am

I usually just combine my shed hunting with deer/turkey scouting, and/or coyote hunting. I don't go to the public grounds to soley look for sheds, but I do try and keep my eyes open for them while I'm out this time of year. I've found 2 this year....which is 2 more than ever before :dance:
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:09 am

The one I found this year was in a primary bedding area. Smelled like a livestock pen in there,

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”