smoke bombs

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
User avatar
Hawthorne
500 Club
Posts: 5342
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:13 pm
Location: michigan
Status: Offline

smoke bombs

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:09 pm

Anyone ever use smoke bombs in the off season to see how air moves thru the terrain? I read this in Gene Wensels book. Sounds like a good idea.

[ Post made via Android ] Image


User avatar
Zap
Posts: 10061
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:57 pm
Location: OK, I am in Kansas.....
Status: Offline

Re: smoke bombs

Unread postby Zap » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:22 pm

Pop smoke....I do it all year.

:mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
User avatar
stash59
Moderator
Posts: 9488
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:22 am
Location: S Central Wi.
Status: Offline

Re: smoke bombs

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:31 pm

I read that too but was always afraid with my luck I'd start a fire. Didn't he say he used a clean metal paint can with wholes in the lid. Trouble is these days most of this kind o stuff is now packed in plastic. I guess you could buy some stove pipe and put a top and bottom on it. Let me know how it works if you try it.
User avatar
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Posts: 18739
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:18 am
Facebook: None
Location: Iowa
Status: Offline

Re: smoke bombs

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:53 pm

:think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 32047
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: smoke bombs

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:15 pm

Haven't tried a smoke bomb but I think milkweed would work just as well and easier to use if you have some.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 38589
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: smoke bombs

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:38 pm

I tried it when I made the Hill country DVD... There were issues with the heat of the smoke making it rise to the point where it did not follow the air current... Best way to check it and see it is still milkweed.
User avatar
Southern Man
500 Club
Posts: 3780
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:04 am
Location: Extreme Western Kentucky
Status: Offline

Re: smoke bombs

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:25 am

Hawthorne wrote:Anyone ever use smoke bombs in the off season to see how air moves thru the terrain? I read this in Gene Wensels book. Sounds like a good idea.

[ Post made via Android ] Image


I thought about it several years ago but never did. I have sat and watched tobacco barns when they're firing them in the early fall. The oldtimers would build their Dark fired barns where they were sheltered from the wind, such as a draw, or the edge of a woods. It was interesting watching how smoke would filter through the terrain on mostly calm days, not always with the wind and how it would change course when you didn't notice a short change in wind direction.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
BassBoysLLP
500 Club
Posts: 9758
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:28 am
Location: Central WI
Status: Offline

Re: smoke bombs

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:19 am

dan wrote:I tried it when I made the Hill country DVD... There were issues with the heat of the smoke making it rise to the point where it did not follow the air current... Best way to check it and see it is still milkweed.


The heat would be my issue with the smoke too. Borozin is likely your best commercial option, but it is tough to beat the price and availability of nature's floaters (thistle, milkweed, dandelion, aster, dogbane, etc). I personally prefer thistle over milkweed. In my eyes, it rides the air currents a bit better and is less subject to inertial impaction. I carry thistle in a small coin purse. I often drop milkweed by the entire pod.
User avatar
stash59
Moderator
Posts: 9488
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:22 am
Location: S Central Wi.
Status: Offline

Re: smoke bombs

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:24 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
dan wrote:I tried it when I made the Hill country DVD... There were issues with the heat of the smoke making it rise to the point where it did not follow the air current... Best way to check it and see it is still milkweed.


The heat would be my issue with the smoke too. Borozin is likely your best commercial option, but it is tough to beat the price and availability of nature's floaters (thistle, milkweed, dandelion, aster, dogbane, etc). I personally prefer thistle over milkweed. In my eyes, it rides the air currents a bit better and is less subject to inertial impaction. I carry thistle in a small coin purse. I often drop milkweed by the entire pod.

That's what I was thinking but since I haven't used it yet I didn't make the comment.


  • Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest