Need some help with this property

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
SBolton21
Facebook: Virginia

Need some help with this property

Unread postby SBolton21 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:01 pm

Where should I look for beds and what would be good potential stand locations?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Need some help with this property

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:32 am

I marked areas to look for beds in red... Stand locations should be 100 to 200 yards away along the exit trails.

SBolton21

Unread postby SBolton21 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:08 pm

Thanks Dan! I've only had time to scout that western section. It's a very high deer density area with tons of beds on each of the points and at least a hundred different rubs above the points going back and forth. The prominent point near the "300" really stood out. I found 2 different sheds and a younger dead buck. There is a rubline of taller rubs that comes out of that main point heading SW towards the neighbors fields.

As far as setting up for the kill...I was thinking I would need a S/SE wind that should come with a rain storm Mostly so I don't alert the other deer of my presence bedding on the other points. Enter from the west until I'm about 100 yds off the prominent point. Does that sound like the right way to play it?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:57 pm

The point is set up best for the bucks with a S.W. wind, but straight south and west should work too... S.E. is pushing it a little for winds the buck would prefer to bed there. If that was my only option without spooking I would try it. By I would be inclined to find a way to hunt the best bedding winds.
SBolton21

Unread postby SBolton21 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:06 am

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking if he makes a habit of heading down the point eastward on a SW wind i can setup 100 yds below him and be in a great position to have an encounter. Plus I'd be bumping a lot less deer on that approach.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:11 am

SBolton21 wrote:Thanks for the input. I'm thinking if he makes a habit of heading down the point eastward on a SW wind i can setup 100 yds below him and be in a great position to have an encounter. Plus I'd be bumping a lot less deer on that approach.

That might be a mistake... Thermals will carry scent up hill from all the way around the point until the sun is no longer hitting the ground. The whole reason bucks bed on these land features is because they can smell from below and above at the same time.
You might be able to set up on the other side of the creek where the hill starts rising again, but your going to get swirling down there no matter what and theres a good chance he will bust you.
SBolton21

Unread postby SBolton21 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:12 pm

Wow great point. I didn't realize the thermal shift would happen once the sun no longer hits ground. Would have been out of the game before it started.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”