Re-Scouting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
sunset samurai

Re: Re-Scouting

Unread postby sunset samurai » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:42 am

dan wrote:
sunset samurai wrote:One thing to expound on would be how quickly another buck may take up residence where a current animal has been taken out. For instance, one area we hunt here in NC is roughly 150 acres, keeping track of a few bucks we had a 10 and an 8 on the hitlist and happened that first sit I killed the 10 and 5 days later on similar conditions my brother killed the 8. Within 20 mins of same time of day as my buck. Not wanting to "clear out" the area we decided it would only be hunted one more time in hopes of my fiance getting her first deer which she did so we retired the area and we moved our efforts to different places to kill our number two bucks for the season. I went back into the area the other week deep into the bedding/creek bottom and judging by the extensive lines of large rubs, undoubtably another buck or multiple had moved into the area probably sensing the lack of competition and feeling some pressure in their original hideouts. In this case a little in season pre scouting may have proved my number two buck couldve probably been killed much closer to home, but its all good he'll be bigger this fall.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Its not really a matter of other bucks "moving in" in most cases... Primary bedding areas are used by every buck in the area most of the time... The most dominant buck in the area will get the spot... I have watched bucks bed in a bedding area and a little later a more dominant buck comes in and the lesser buck either leaves or moves to a satellite bed. In a lot of cases I have watched a certain buck bed in a certain spot then move in for the kill the next day only to have a different buck get out of the same bed.
I shot a mature 10 pointer a couple seasons ago and a few days later noticed the beds rubline was still being used so I sat in the same spot and watched another big buck rise out of the exact bed...

How fast a bed gets used after a kill probably has more to do with getting your scent in there when you kill the 1st one, than it does about a new deer finding the spot.
In these cases if the bucks were there all along why would it be that they were never seen, would that be simply because we were so focused on the deer that we had targeted n we overlooked them, you think? When I say we had targeted them its not a catalog of pics or any thing extensive, we basically put a cam up once in late summer for a few days in places we had previously scouted just to get some visual conformation, so the bachelor group that contained those guys were the bulk of the pics.

sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:49 am

Dan, In these cases if the bucks were there all along why would it be that they were never seen, would that be simply because we were so focused on the deer that we had targeted n we overlooked them, you think? When I say we had targeted them its not a catalog of pics or any thing extensive, we basically put a cam up once in late summer for a few days in places we had previously scouted just to get some visual conformation, so the bachelor group that contained those guys were the bulk of the pics.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:13 am

I rescouted an area this weekend that i have scouted and hunted a few times. I have found some well-used beds in the past here but my hunts in the area have not yielded a big buck sighting. There are big bucks in the area, i have gotten them on cam and also shined them on the adjacent private crop fields.

The re-scouting was worth it. I visited a few nooks and crannies that i had never been to and there was good bedding there.

I also revisited the beds i hunted. The beds were still pounded, even though i didnt see anything when i hunted them. I will try again but maybe earlier in the year with an observation sit from further away.

I was just taken back a little by how i had been walking past all this bedding and i know at least one of my hunts last year in the area i was totally out of the game.

Pretty excited to hunt this area this fall. There are 3 main bedding areas i want to hunt in stages kind of like dan and mario style. 3 consecutive hunts SHOULD yield a buck sighting. :)

Anyone else rescouting areas? This was an area i first scouted towards the beginning of my beast career and it was nice to apply the newer knowledge.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:41 am

phade wrote:I see alot of talk about scouting. I don't see a whole heck of alot of talk about re-scouting areas.

By re-scouting, I mean property you may have had access to or own for a long time, or historically deer have always done "x" and not "y".

What are some things you do to make sure you don't get complacent on property you have long-term access on?

Most of the properties I hunt with my hunting partners are small acreage (5-50ish acres). As such I force myself to walk as much of the property as I can scouting before green-up to see if I am missing anything. We also seem to take a few "flyer" hunts each season where a stand on the back and new intel requires a move to a spot where there is no pre-set.

I like to re-scout areas and compare the sign to previous years. On some of my favorite public areas I have mapped sign for several years and more often than not, there is a noticable difference. Sometimes the area has alot of visible sign where there is no questions and then there are are years where the sign is there but you really have to look for it.

On a 60 acre piece of private ground I hunted for several years the sign changed every year, but it always changed back to the way it was 2 years previous. It was crop rotation. Fields bordered 2 sides of the farm. One field had soybeans and the other side was corn. Next year it was opposite and the sign changed with it. You could count on it. This was an easy one.

On private ground I hunt now I give a walk through bedding to check, but it's the public areas I try to keep tabs on year after year.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:04 am

Ive seen, and guessing you have as well, that the deer eventually get onto you and sign location changes even if the other variables (mast, crop, external pressure) remains. I care more about beds than anything...the annual patterns of mature bucks for scouring such bedding, or draw to food sources at "X" time or "y" condition matter....as well as the bad wNY weather hideouts, but see expectations leading to heartache to a certain degree
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:24 am

I find the second time scouting an area is when I find the most beds and other sign. The first time I am paying more attention to the terrain, how the deer move thru it and food sources. Once I get that figured out I go home to download all my gps tracks and markings. After studying aerials and topos in relation to my feet on the ground previously I then go back and fine tune bedding locations, travel to food sources and my entry/exit routes.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:23 pm

Dewey wrote:I find the second time scouting an area is when I find the most beds and other sign. The first time I am paying more attention to the terrain, how the deer move thru it and food sources. Once I get that figured out I go home to download all my gps tracks and markings. After studying aerials and topos in relation to my feet on the ground previously I then go back and fine tune bedding locations, travel to food sources and my entry/exit routes.
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Same for me. Second time in is so valuable for me. I really key in on the small details that can make or break a successful hunt.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”