Determining direction of exit from bed

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sunset samurai

Determining direction of exit from bed

Unread postby sunset samurai » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:41 am

Hi, I am new to this forum but have been studying this bed style hunting the last year or so, and have really enjoyed reading yalls shared knowledge on this exciting method of hunting. This is my first real spring of scouting for beds. I understand the concept of the bedding on points and such in hill country, but have a scenario that is throwing me for a loop here in the foothills of N.C.
We have alot of cutover in my area that we clear spots in and plant food plots. One such area has rendered nice buck sign and pics, but all at night within the first hours of darkness. So I have believed him to be holding up in the thick till dark.
Recently I followed the main trail back and it is littered with nice rubs, a less traveled trail branches off (also littered with similar rubs) and horshoes back around, crossing the creek and leads to a beautiful bed tucked into a blowdown beside a chestnut tree on a point where the hill rises from the bottom, right across the creek from the food plot within 75 yrds or so.
The terrain suggests the wind to be coming from the SW as he faces the plot (which he cannot see due to thickness) which would make sense because he would also be facing his backtrail.
My confusion is wether or not the wind direction greatly affects which way he exits the bed? If he is bedding on the SW wind which I have assumed, then as he travels the trail to the plot he is walking a crosswind the whole way, is that common or would he be more likely exiting into the wind which would put him in the hardwoods rather than the plot? Also the only rubs in the area are the ones I have mentioned. The lesser traveled trails out of the bed have none. I guess at first I was thinking he was bedding there to scent check the plot but that would require a NE wind and the terrain and position of the point suggest the opposite. In situations like this one I am having trouble deciding which way he would most likely exit, and how much of an effect the wind dictates this.
Any insight from you guys that are more experienced with this would be awesome, and thanks for the add to the forum.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

cameron

Re: Determining direction of exit from bed

Unread postby cameron » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:55 am

Bump, I also struggle with this.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:31 am

In most cases bucks leave there bed going in the direction of food, water, or does, without much relevance with the wind... When they enter a bed however, they like to circle down wind and safe check it 1st before entry. Morning trails can be hard to determine and can change based on the exact wind or wind speed... The easiest to predict is the evening exit. This is when they walk out on the main trail most of the time... With some beds its very often the exact same trail every time you see a deer exit. Its also usually where the most sign is (rubs ,tracks, browse, etc) Try not to over think the evening set ups, just move in close and get between the food and bed on the main trail.
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:45 am

Thanks Dan, that confirms the tree I have in mind then. On a SW wind I can enter the creek upstream n ease my way down undetected and set up to shoot him in a swampy little opening jus before he crosses the creek. Hopefully, anyway lol. Gettin excited!

sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:47 am

The opening is roughly 65 yards from the bed.

TN Whitetail Freak
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/307728519407218/

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:37 am

U say it horshoed could he be walking downwind of the plot then entering? Scent checking field before hand

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:47 am

TN Whitetail Freak wrote:U say it horshoed could he be walking downwind of the plot then entering? Scent checking field before hand

I don't see this alot... But I do see it. Most common is they tend to enter the lowest spot of a field in the evening which would obviously be due to thermal drop bringing scent from every direction in the field.
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:51 pm

Im thinking the horseshoe is more of an exagerated version of the "J hook" because if the SW wind that I have assumed is correct then he is downwind of his bed from the time he leaves the plot untill he crosses the creek. I feel this hook is a little bigger to the creek being only passable in certain areas as it has alot of blowdown damage from a hurricane years ago, but as he hooks around and heads into it his trail meanders in to thick as it breaks away from the main trail that seems the rest of the deer are using

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”