Beast mode on a short time frame?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

FCAndrews71

Beast mode on a short time frame?

Unread postby FCAndrews71 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:37 pm

Planning a public land out-of-state hunt for this fall in southern Ohio. Never hunting serious topography before, I asked bowhunter15 for some help reading my public land topo. A lot of deep valleys and ridges which is something Im not used to hunting. He helped me out a TON, but Im wondering if Beast style of hunting is recommended for something so short term? I'll be hunting for about a week during the lull/pre-rut, and Im trying to maximize my chances at a shooter.

Should I be focusing on buck bedding during this timeframe, or should high traffic areas, doe bedding and secluded scrapes be the main focus? Planning my scouting trip for mid March, so I should be able to find quite a bit of last years rut sign still.

Appreciate the advice!

TN Whitetail Freak
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/307728519407218/

Re: Beast mode on a short time frame?

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:34 pm

I say its definitely worth it because if you use the methods that are taught in the"beast style" videos and the strategic theory behind beast hunting then its going to put you fairly close to that shooter buck thus increasing your odds of success which is ultimately why we get up and hunt. I'm new to the strategy myself and I've learned that beast style hunting can be summed up with in that its "A GRIND" you have to outlast your opponent (BIG BUCK) and try to anticipate his moves. Its tough but doable and gratifying.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:00 pm

Depends on your goals... If you are just out to kill a deer, hunt the high traffic areas you speak of. If you want to kill a big buck, hunt where big bucks move in daylight. Thjats what Beast style is all about.
FCAndrews71

Unread postby FCAndrews71 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:26 am

The goal is to shoot a good buck, but I know that hunting buck bedding typically leads to fewer sightings. I think thats one piece of this concept that Im really going to have to keep pounding into my head. I grew up in an area where you had a decent season if you saw 10 deer total, so my goal has always been to be in the high traffic areas, such as around food sources and funnels.

I think that as I learn more about Beast style of hunting, theres going to have to be a mentality change that also occurs. I need to realize that quality over quantity is my real goal.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”