Dr Ken Nordberg on buck bedding

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
headgear
500 Club

Re: Dr Ken Nordberg on buck bedding

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:13 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:The first link dewey posted was from an article published in 1996. Cutting edge ideas at that time.

Take what you can gather from his info and run with it......

Was just going to post something along these lines, guy has been around a long time, very good stuff for its day and age and still quality info. Certainly a few things that I don't agree with but lets be honest, a lot of beast hunters get way out of the comfort zone in which most hunters live.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:43 am

Agreed... I think all of us would disagree with something from every book out there... Take what helps you, discard the rest.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:46 am

fishlips wrote:I like the information about bed size. Could see that being very helpful going forward being I am not as seasoned as others are in identifying a yearling buck bed vs doe vs mature buck bed.

I think anyone writing an article like this is going to be hard pressed to identify all the intricacies of all deer in every different terrain. I think for the most part, this gets you in the ballpark of what you are looking for. What I always struggle with is taking the next step and honing my approach in the field. I think that is a key attribute that good hunters have.

His idea on measuring bed size.....if the terrain is conducive to accurately measure bed size then a deer's track should be quite identifiable and indicate size of the animal.

I go with track sizes (and helps identify individual bucks) vs. bed measuring.

But again to each his own. Use the information that applies to your area.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:00 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:
fishlips wrote:I like the information about bed size. Could see that being very helpful going forward being I am not as seasoned as others are in identifying a yearling buck bed vs doe vs mature buck bed.

I think anyone writing an article like this is going to be hard pressed to identify all the intricacies of all deer in every different terrain. I think for the most part, this gets you in the ballpark of what you are looking for. What I always struggle with is taking the next step and honing my approach in the field. I think that is a key attribute that good hunters have.

His idea on measuring bed size.....if the terrain is conducive to accurately measure bed size then a deer's track should be quite identifiable and indicate size of the animal.

I noted that. I had never thought about measuring bed size. Other than a visual large or small. I was wondering if those sizes would be applicable to ones down here. But even if not, measuring beds could give a general idea what you're looking at compared to others you find. Most of the beds I find are in leaves and easily measurable.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:04 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:

I guess for more of a novice like me, it seems like there are fewer variables in gauging a bed size than a track. Every time I feel like I am getting a better understanding with tracks, it seems like there is some other variable to consider (size of deer, running vs walking, what type of ground the track was left in, etc). A big bed to me is a a big bed. Guess it's my way of saying that barring a monster track, this is a way that I probably can better understand and relate to vs deciphering a track.

No doubt, I would love to learn more about tracks as well though.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:12 am

Good read, thanks for sharing. If the 1996 in the title didn't give it away, the old treebark camo in the fifth picture sure did. Still have some of that from when I was a kid.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:29 pm

He stated 'Deer release their bowels in 2 places, their bedding area & preferred feeding areas"

What do y'all think of this?
Trust the Process
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:47 pm

Twenty Up wrote:He stated 'Deer release their bowels in 2 places, their bedding area & preferred feeding areas"

What do y'all think of this?

I would add "also the trails between the two" and then you just covered all the areas a deer lives.

Think about it.....

All a big buck does is eat and sleep 90% of the year. The other 10% is the rut where a buck travels from one doe group to the other.

KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:48 am

I have read all of Ken Nordbergs whitetail books as they were published. i.e. 20+ years ago. His whitetail observations are based mostly from Northern big woods (Minnesota). He has one entire book based solely on reading and interpreting deer sign. He was the first proponent of mobile hunting that I encountered in my deer hunting career..(finding a new spot to hunt every day based on current deer sign). And this was twenty+ years ago when all the magazines (there was no internet) expounded on hunting funnels, and preserving sanctuaries. Recently, I read a comment from him..." I have killed the vast majority of my mature bucks within 200 yards of his bed"..

Does any of this sound familiar?

The article posted here was 20 years ago. How many of us would want to be held to our deer hunting beliefs we had twenty years ago?

Finding Dan's first website, and continuing on with the Beast has been a natural progression for me. Its all the same stuff, just more sophisticated now.

And I read once that the "Dr" graduated from dental school, which would account for the "Dr" Ken Nordberg.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:37 pm

It looks like he has a deer hunting dvd set. Anyone ever seen it?

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:38 pm

fishlips wrote:It looks like he has a deer hunting dvd set. Anyone ever seen it?

Nope. Sounds like it's a condensed version of his class he no longer does.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:51 pm

I'm re-reading the 3rd Edition Mobile Stand Hunting right now thanks to Klemz. ;) Haven't read it for many years and as I get more into it I'm amazed how much it mirrors what we discuss here. The book was printed in 1990 and wishing I had taken the stuff more seriously back then.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:51 am

Seems like this guy was on to BEAST hunting much earlier than most.

utica19

Unread postby utica19 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:11 pm

Anyone remember "Nordberg" from the Naked Gun movies? Now there's some entertainment !

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:30 pm

In regards to tracks vs bed. Hill country can be fairly hard soil prints might not work as well depending on scenario. I agree prints are better but measuring a bed is just another piece. I like his stuff I have a book or 2 somewhere.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”