Dr Ken Nordberg on buck bedding

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Dewey

Dr Ken Nordberg on buck bedding

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:42 pm

Very interesting article on a topic we discuss often here.

http://www.drnordbergondeerhunting.com/ ... Areas.html

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Dr Ken Nordberg on buck bedding

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:21 pm

Good read.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:37 pm

Interesting article. Thanks for posting.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:22 am

Thanks for posting that Dewey.

chris
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:40 am

Good read thanks .

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:59 am

When I see pics of big penned bucks(educated guess here), like in this article, I don't put much stock in what they have to say......
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:04 am

I have all of his Whitetail Hunter's Almanac's except for one's out of print. The Do It Yourself Bear Hunting Almanac is great too even if you hunt with a guide. Nordberg has great info and i really enjoy reading his stuff.

Here is a link if anybody is interested.......http://www.drnordbergondeerhunting.com/index.html#
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:10 am

Spysar wrote:When I see pics of big penned bucks(educated guess here), like in this article, I don't put much stock in what they have to say......

Did you ever read his stuff Spysar? He is not a research guy like Charles Alsheimer using penned bucks since he got his knowledge from actually hunting bucks in mostly big woods environment. Who cares about pics.......did you ever try to get a pic of a bedded buck?
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:20 am

Anyone know where he's from?
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:21 am

Southern Man wrote:Anyone know where he's from?

Minnesota I believe and sounds like wolf country for the most part.

Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:40 am

Dewey wrote:
Spysar wrote:When I see pics of big penned bucks(educated guess here), like in this article, I don't put much stock in what they have to say......

Did you ever read his stuff Spysar? He is not a research guy like Charles Alsheimer using penned bucks since he got his knowledge from actually hunting bucks in mostly big woods environment. Who cares about pics.......did you ever try to get a pic of a bedded buck?

Ok, I guess the pics are just pics. And no I never tried to get a pic of a bedded buck. The first paragraph of the article talked about a deer spends half it's day time feeding and half bedding? Didn't make sense to me. I like the measuring bed stuff. No I never read this guys articles.

And I'm leary of deer guys that are a "Dr"... :lol:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:44 am

Spysar wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Ok, I guess the pics are just pics. And no I never tried to get a pic of a bedded buck. [glow=red]The first paragraph of the article talked about a deer spends half it's day time feeding and half bedding[/glow]? Didn't make sense to me. I like the measuring bed stuff. No I never read this guys articles.

Yea I think it was 4-6 hours feeding and 4 - 6 hours bedded. That's only 8 - 12 hours. Lots of time in the day left. That struck me as odd. Good article though. Kind of general info.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:46 am

He's talking about day time, not the whole day. But still very odd..
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:15 am

Spysar wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Ok, I guess the pics are just pics. And no I never tried to get a pic of a bedded buck. The first paragraph of the article talked about a deer spends half it's day time feeding and half bedding? Didn't make sense to me. I like the measuring bed stuff. No I never read this guys articles.

His Bio.........

Dr. Ken Nordberg is a full-time whitetail naturalist, hunting method researcher, outdoor writer, wildlife photographer, seminar speaker, teacher (buck & bear hunting school instructor), publisher, book distributor and Feature Editor for MidWest Outdoors, and Field Editor for Bear Hunting Magazine.
Dr. Nordberg has been an avid whitetail hunter since 1945 and an equally avide whitetail naturalist since 1970. Armed with knowledge and experience gained from earning degrees in animal psychology and natural sciences and from teaching and conducting research at the University of Minnesota, his decades of whitetail studies in the field were generally directed toward creating improved hunting methods, especially methods that would improve buck hunting success.

He has written 11 books, Whitetail Hunter's Almanac 1st through 9th Edition and do-it-yourself Black Bear Baiting & Hunting 1st & Revised Edition. Each of his best-selling deer hunting books provides scientifically-based information on habits and behavior of wild whitetails throughout North America and scientifically-developed, sometimes wolf-inspired, instructions for new and improved ways to hunt whitetails, especially adult bucks. Each book covers one or more different subjects evolved from his 35 years of ongoing field research.

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:45 am

I didn't mean to sound negative. His website looked interesting. I plan on reading a bit more articles he has. I've seen some of his books before.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”