First Swamp Hunt - Advice

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

checkerfred
500 Club

First Swamp Hunt - Advice

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:35 pm

I hunted some bottom/swamp land for the first time last week. It seems quite different than the swamps you guys hunt. There's a good bit of hardwoods and pines and some swampy/thicket areas. It's bow only. Road access is closed off so you have to walk in or bike in along the white service road. I'm posting an aerial/topo map as well as one I marked up.

The purple is my access, the yellow was the wind, and the red dot/arrow is where I jumped some deer and their direction. I came in from the little creek/drainage. It was a sandy/mucky bank and going in blind I thought I would look for tracks there. I saw some doe tracks then cut across what appeared to be some buck tracks. Where you see the little water channel from the main water area feed into that middle strip of timber, the tracks crossed multiple directions. I followed them to the east, my purple access, and setup in the woods. I made a major mistake. I think I had setup fairly well, albeit by accident. I didn't get busted, I was quite etc. However, the setup didn't feel right. I kept thinking why would they bed with the wind blowing from the water area to land. Then then wind swirled some from the West. I thought if they were bedded there I was busted. So, like a dummy, I climbed down and thought I would scout it out and change locations. I went in and busted out two deer. They jumped into the shallow water and went toward the point across the way (red arrow). I never found the bed but found a rub or two. I then moved south of where they crossed. At dark I had three other deer come from the west, further back from where I jumped those deer. They were alert and I assume caught my scent trail.

I know I need to look at points, islands, transitions. However, it's tough to see the transitions. Are the points I marked in blue good guesses for possible areas to check for bedding? Why would the deer be bedding with the wind coming from water to land on that point? Did I screw up that area for good? Any other tips or things that stand out to you guys in this area?

PK_
500 Club

Re: First Swamp Hunt - Advice

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:47 am

I hunt some similar terrain in the panhandle.

If a buck was bedded near where you setup I would expect him to be on the tip of that isthmus just to the west of your access.

Where you jumped the deer I would expect to be doe bedding.

You can narrow down your search by scratching off the points that connect land masses. Bucks do not like to bed in areas where other deer/animals are inclined to travel (besides rut beds). 90% of the solid buck beds I find are 'out of the way'. Areas that you do not walk into naturally because they are either inaccessible due to a barrier, thickness or are simply a 'dead end'.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
pitz0022

Unread postby pitz0022 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:50 am

PalmettoKid wrote:You can narrow down your search by scratching off the points that connect land masses. Bucks do not like to bed in areas where other deer/animals are inclined to travel (besides rut beds). 90% of the solid buck beds I find are 'out of the way'. Areas that you do not walk into naturally because they are either inaccessible due to a barrier, thickness or are simply a 'dead end'.

Thanks for that PalmettoKid. Being new to the site, I would have made the same assumptions as the OP for those being likely spots. When i read your comment I thought of a quote from Dan where he said something to the effect of "I'm not hunting deer, I'm hunting mature bucks"
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:19 am

PalmettoKid wrote:I hunt some similar terrain in the panhandle.

If a buck was bedded near where you setup I would expect him to be on the tip of that isthmus just to the west of your access.

Where you jumped the deer I would expect to be doe bedding.

You can narrow down your search by scratching off the points that connect land masses. Bucks do not like to bed in areas where other deer/animals are inclined to travel (besides rut beds). 90% of the solid buck beds I find are 'out of the way'. Areas that you do not walk into naturally because they are either inaccessible due to a barrier, thickness or are simply a 'dead end'.

Thanks palmetto! I probably have the red dot too far in to land. It's fairly thick toward the middle of that point... Not impenetrable but thick. So if it was moved further to the edge you'd still say doe bedding? I did find a rub there but found a scrape southwest in the bigger timber. I wonder if it's already pre-rut and they're checking does.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:38 am

Hmmm. Understand there is nothing definitive. Idk the pressure and deer numbers and how many bucks are in the area. Idk if a shooter to you is a 1.5-2.5yo or a 3.5-4.5+yo. All these things make a big difference in what may or may not be a viable bedding area to hunt. I catch young bucks bedding in predictable spots on a map, but usually lack proper escape routes, sufficient cover, bulletproof wind/sight advantage etc. When I find where a bigger/older buck has been bedding it is like the stars have to align. Sometimes it is a spot you can point to on an aerial sometimes it's not a spot on the map I would have marked, but in either scenario it has to have the 'intangibles' that cannot be seen until you put boots on the ground. Sometimes it is a tiny hump in the perfect spot. Sometimes it is a screen of brush extending out giving the buck an escape route, sometimes it's just a down tree or some piece of structure in the right location...

I am getting much longer winded than I intended to. To answer your question about where you jumped the deer. There is nothing in that section that I see on the aerial that jumps out at me, nothing looks isolated for a big buck to call his own. You have to think, these deer that have survived 3+ hunting seasons with bone on their head have done so by separating themselves, both physically and behaviorally from the rest of the herd.

That is why Dan talks about less deer sightings when going beast style for mature bucks...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:21 am

PalmettoKid wrote:Hmmm. Understand there is nothing definitive. Idk the pressure and deer numbers and how many bucks are in the area. Idk if a shooter to you is a 1.5-2.5yo or a 3.5-4.5+yo. All these things make a big difference in what may or may not be a viable bedding area to hunt. I catch young bucks bedding in predictable spots on a map, but usually lack proper escape routes, sufficient cover, bulletproof wind/sight advantage etc. When I find where a bigger/older buck has been bedding it is like the stars have to align. Sometimes it is a spot you can point to on an aerial sometimes it's not a spot on the map I would have marked, but in either scenario it has to have the 'intangibles' that cannot be seen until you put boots on the ground. Sometimes it is a tiny hump in the perfect spot. Sometimes it is a screen of brush extending out giving the buck an escape route, sometimes it's just a down tree or some piece of structure in the right location...

I am getting much longer winded than I intended to. To answer your question about where you jumped the deer. There is nothing in that section that I see on the aerial that jumps out at me, nothing looks isolated for a big buck to call his own. You have to think, these deer that have survived 3+ hunting seasons with bone on their head have done so by separating themselves, both physically and behaviorally from the rest of the herd.

That is why Dan talks about less deer sightings when going beast style for mature bucks...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

No problem being long winded...it's all good dialog and stuff I need to consider. I'm not sure how to determine deer population. I know Dan has mentioned several times on my maps that beds can be hard to find due to low deer populations. Yet in some of those areas, I hear of people seeing 16 deer at one time. So it makes me wonder sometimes if I am just in the wrong place or looking at the wrong areas. This area, my first time out, I jumped the two deer on that point, and then had 3 others come in from behind me at dark. So that's 5 deer in one little area. As for shooter bucks, with a bow, I would probably bust the first one that comes by unless I have reason to believe there's something bigger around. I've never shot a deer with a bow. Gun hunting it would have to be a big 6 or decent 8pt or better. In regard to pressure, I've yet to really see any of the public areas I'm hunting hammered hard by other people. I'll see a few here and there but so far its not super pressured.

What you said about the stars having to align. I've yet to find that on public land. I've found only one bed ever that has that...sitting in the bed in hill country I could see why. This makes me think, I guess it's possible that this area may not even hold a mature buck.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:15 am

Thanks for sharing fred and pk.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:54 am

Excellent info already on these posts. I would add that if at least a moderate amount of hunting pressure exists, mature bucks tend to prefer small, isolated bedding areas where they are seldom disturbed when bedded. I added a few red dots that are worthy of a look.

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:30 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:Excellent info already on these posts. I would add that if at least a moderate amount of hunting pressure exists, mature bucks tend to prefer small, isolated bedding areas where they are seldom disturbed when bedded. I added a few red dots that are worthy of a look.

Thank Bridge! I can see that far north east spot.. Looks like a lone tree in some smaller trees/brush. The 4 to the west, what made you pick those? I have a hard time seeing those subtle transitions.

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:35 pm

checkerfred wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:Excellent info already on these posts. I would add that if at least a moderate amount of hunting pressure exists, mature bucks tend to prefer small, isolated bedding areas where they are seldom disturbed when bedded. I added a few red dots that are worthy of a look.

Thank Bridge! I can see that far north east spot.. Looks like a lone tree in some smaller trees/brush. The 4 to the west, what made you pick those? I have a hard time seeing those subtle transitions.

The are small, secluded and the last stop before you see the swamp / marsh behind them toward the middle of the pic. No guarantees, but they are definitely worth a look as I have found bedding in these areas often enough before.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:37 pm

and don't forget to look under that lone tree you mentioned! ;)
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:50 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:and don't forget to look under that lone tree you mentioned! ;)

Thanks a bunch! I'll check them out. I jumped a lone deer and it sounded like it was breaking down trees. It was North of the points on the west where that little drainage Creek makes an oxbow. I'm gonna try and hunt it next same wind.

I need to post the south area of this. It's much more swampy. There's a small island that looks good too.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:12 am

I like this area... Dead ends are great, but not if the buck don't have an escape. If I had to hunt the rest of the woods, I would look at transitions of cover. But, the marked areas are the 1st I would look at... It looks like to muck human pressure on the side of the water you marked. Check my circled area, and the dot to the West.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:12 am

dan wrote:I like this area... Dead ends are great, but not if the buck don't have an escape. If I had to hunt the rest of the woods, I would look at transitions of cover. But, the marked areas are the 1st I would look at... It looks like to muck human pressure on the side of the water you marked. Check my circled area, and the dot to the West.

Awesome thanks! Funny that you marked that dot to the west. I jumped a lone deer in that exact spot doing some scouting. I had followed some tracks in the muck that led just east of that dot. Then went to cross the muck to the dot and heard some crashing and a splash into water on the other side.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”