Uncle Sam just gave me a new hunting spot!

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

g2outdoors

Uncle Sam just gave me a new hunting spot!

Unread postby g2outdoors » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:43 am

I'm active duty Army and I just got stationed at Fort Drum in upstate, NY. I arrived at the end of September, so I've had limited time to get my feet wet scouting. Here's what I have so far.

RED = Area boundaries (approximately 230 acres bow only). From the southwest corner to the bottom of the yellow line on the eastern border is a high fence.
SOLID YELLOW = Road access. No vehicles allowed beyond the line.
DASHED YELLOW = Marsh, ponds, cattails, super thick.
RED MARKERS = Stands I've found while scouting.

The predominant wind is from the South and West but occassional North/Northeast winds. Since I haven't had much time here, where should I start? Can I use the other hunters to my advantage? Obviously they won't all be in at any given time. But I have seen 2 or 4 guys that are hunting this area pretty regularly. ALSO 8 out of the 12 stands I've found are within 50 yards of a 2 track. Bubba isn't venturing very far off the beaten path...

Thanks in advance,

Crazinamatese

Re: Uncle Sam just gave me a new hunting spot!

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:25 pm

Bump..
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
MACHINIST

Unread postby MACHINIST » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:52 pm

Looks like its hunted pretty hard,is this on the base?I am assuming so because it looks like housing to the north of it
g2outdoors

Unread postby g2outdoors » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:08 pm

Yes. Hunting on post is my only option right now since I'm so new to the area. Even though it's pressured, there are a lot of really good deer taken on Fort Drum every year. There's about 3000 bow only acres available to hunt and I was hoping that this area, because of the swamps, would be a little less pressured. Which I think it is.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:12 am

Might not be important but in the lower right corner two dark green thickets have a corner to corner funnel. Good luck I hope you get more feedback. Right now we are all preoccupied with chasing bucks, right?

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
g2outdoors

Unread postby g2outdoors » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:07 am

I walked that corner and it definitley looks like a good place to hang a stand for cruising bucks. The stand at the northwest tip of the long green thicket is accessed by walking down the western edge of the thicket. His trail is very well marked. I haven't walked the smaller thicket to the south.
g2outdoors

Unread postby g2outdoors » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:12 am

I think it looks more pressured than it actually is. I'm pretty sure the portions southeast of the large swamp don't get hunted much. It's not easy to get to. There's only 2 real ways of accessing it: Coming in from the far southeastern tip of the solid yellow line, which is close to 3/4 of a mile walk, or coming in from the north trail and walking around the swamp to the east. That way is a little over 3/4 of a mile. While that's not very far to me, only 10-15 minute walk depending how slow/quiet I'm trying to be, I think it's too far for most hunters up here.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:13 pm

I like tha bottom se corner on the pinch between the 2 what look to be pine plantations

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
cbniner

Unread postby cbniner » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:56 pm

That pinch point on the SE corner is going to be junk more than likely, it's the only woods that stick out on the map and if the place is pressured you should find human sigh there. Scout every inch and if you don't scout it then blame yourself if you don't see what you hope

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”