hunting a new area after scouting it.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
ihookem
500 Club

hunting a new area after scouting it.

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:37 pm

I was scouting yesterday ( Saturday) and found the best sign I've seen all fall. Today I decided to recheck the area and the same area north of it . This area is along a small river. Sinse I have been there twice in two days, how long do you think I should wait before I head back there to hunt it? I is .25 mi. form the road and quite hilly in the Kettle Moraine S.F north. As I was heading there today I kicked up a deer. According to the GPS the deer was 159' from the road ;) DOn't always have to go back in a long ways. I feel good about this spot but I think I may have upset it. How long do you ussually wait before you hunt a spot you found?

Zap

Re: hunting a new area after scouting it.

Unread postby Zap » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:42 pm

What is your goal?
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:45 pm

If I find hot sign I hunt it immediately.. I'm hunting mature bucks though. There is no cool down period. Shoot them before they smell you. Element of surprise.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:28 pm

My goal is to get a decent size doe for meat at least. A buck would be extra. I didn't have my bow or any gear. I just decided to take a drive ( ya know how that goes) Then,,, as I'm driving I see a rut in the ditch. I though,, wow, getting out sure enough, it is a deer trail. I only went down this road On Friday and noone there. SO I go back the next day, not knowing anything about the area except topo maps of the area Friday night. Though I'd take a little walk down along the river. It was raining fairly steady and I don't hunt in the rain much. I was disapointed cause it seemed more of the same ho hum public land . Then I get to this spot , I see a good trail crossing the river and wow, the trail spreads out to more trails ,, or several trails leading to the one main trail to cross the river. It is a shallow rocky spot on the river instead of them going into mud up to their knees and there is some farm fields across the river too. I could have hunted it tonight but it is a madhouse out there cause it was so nice last evening and today. I figure Tuesday Wednesday and maybe Thursday. I leave most weekends for scouting cause I am behind on scouting this year.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:26 am

You can sit that crossing during the rut maybe.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:23 pm

I sat there last night. No deer. Some dude was canoeing or duck hunting along the river , about 50' from the stand. Sucks , he had a dog to make it worse. I saw a turkey and a squirrel. I will go back tomorrow , I think, cause there is a bit of rain coming in. I would like to get there and hunt just before a rain. Keeps out the other scouter, squirrel hunters, hikers, horse back riders, mushroom pickers, ETC, even saw 2 guys packing out from a camoing trip Sat. morning. It can be a zoo out there. I will most likely get a deer on this stand and if not I will be even more puzzled than I already am . I think it will get better as the acorns dry up cause across the river is corn on private land. SHould be good and can hunt it for years.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:35 pm

Walking or canoeing the edge of the river will quickly tell you where the deer cross it and then you can follow the trails in and pick a good spot.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”