Need some Beastly input on this one

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Re: Need some Beastly input on this one

Unread postby muddy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:51 am

I've seen deer bed in beans here in Iowa before. Also have seen beans so damn tall that you can't see the deer until they raise their head up OUT of the beans as it's over an adult bucks back. Sounds crazy but it could happen. With your situation I'd say he was bedded in the beans or maybe when you were not paying attention he buzzed out into the field on a trot or run?

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:21 am

Singing Bridge wrote:Black Squirrel, I think you may be looking for some reinforcement on what you believe to be happening. You are large and in charge of that area, and need to trust your instincts. Those potholes are some of the premier bedding areas in this type of habitat that exists, as the bucks can bed in cover, likely have water available, and use the pothole itself against predators approaching from downwind (a barrier). Bedding in the corn/beans/woods cannot provide that level of protection to the buck. Unbelievable that the potholes where you saw the young bucks exit are located where they are, an excellent bedding location even if the pothole did not exist. It sounds like there are other pothole areas as well, and that you have already found bedding in these areas. If the young bucks are tolerating the bugs near those potholes, the big boy can too.

One of Michigan's most successful trophy buck hunters, recently departed, killed numerous record book bucks near these bedding areas over many years. They are overlooked, hard to approach and hard to hunt- all advantages to the buck.

Yep after reading your reply Bridge, I realize your pretty much right on, I don't have the confidence to set up on this guy. It seems so dang hard to set up on him. When the wind is right for me it's wrong for him. these pot holes are pretty small, and seem almost unapproachable and he seems just as unpredictable. I guess I need to really sit down and plan an entry route when the wind is just off a bit. I figure I'm only going to get one crack at him. Thanks for little pep talk, I needed that.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:23 am

Well last night I set up on this guy. We had a NW wind and I was in the south end of the pothole between a cornfield and an alfalfa field. I figured he would hit the alfalfa. Well about an hour before dark I see him, only probalem is he is 300 yards away. He was in a different bedding area. He walked with in 15 yards of a tree I have prepped! :x So tonight, if the wind is right I will set up in this tree, and hopefully he will do the samething.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:56 am

Some of you all hunt in spots that I cannot even relate to at all...hahaha! I couldn't give any advice other than common sense (and sometimes mine is lacking). My hunting spots generally look like this from an aerial perspective. LOL

venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:48 pm

Black Squirrel wrote:Well last night I set up on this guy. We had a NW wind and I was in the south end of the pothole between a cornfield and an alfalfa field. I figured he would hit the alfalfa. Well about an hour before dark I see him, only probalem is he is 300 yards away. He was in a different bedding area. He walked with in 15 yards of a tree I have prepped! :x So tonight, if the wind is right I will set up in this tree, and hopefully he will do the samething.

I can't wait to hear how it went. DId you get a chance to set up on him?
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:34 am

I didn't set up here last night, wind was to variable. I decided to just scout from the grain bin, where I could watch both of these bedding areas. He was a no show. I don't believe he saw me leave the stand on Sat. night because there is enough terrain and corn to conceal my exit, but I have to walk out through the alfalfa field. I suppose he could have smelled my exit trail if he happened through later that night. I'll give it another try in 2 weeks, as next weekend I'll be heading to my western WI land.
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:37 pm

I hope you can connect on one out in the western part of the state Black squirrel!!That would give me a little more room in the Gardner!! :lol: :lol:
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:28 am

I only get out there 3-4 times a year anyway, GS. :lol: Always see trucks in the parking lots, though. I think most don't hunt the right areas anyway. Hopefully they don't find this site or we'll have more company. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”