photos of beds

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Thermals
500 Club

photos of beds

Unread postby Thermals » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:37 am

I was thinking if we could put together a running thread on beds on maps and topos maps. I think it would be nice to have a vast array to look through so guys can take there spots and compare them to there place to located beds, this maybe on here already but I did not see it.

Swampthing
500 Club

Re: photos of beds

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:53 am

Yes it's here somewhere. I'll try to find it or somebody will.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:55 am

I looked for it can not recall how it was titled.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:02 am

I'd love to see some pictures too. I had problems finding beds in hardwoods today

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:13 am

Here is a small island out in a marsh it's about 200 yards away from dry ground where most hunters would be. It's only about 20' across this hump is mabey only 1 foot higher in elevation than the surrounding marsh. But it's just enough to keep the buck dry and give him a sight advantage. This buck that lived there had access trails leaving in every direction. But the main bed was facing N NW into the prevailing wind. His bed was used a lot and he even had a favorite tree righ in his bed.

This pic is me standing right over his bed , if you look closely you can see how the bed almost takes on the shape of a birds nest from repeated use . The pic also includes the rub as well.
Here is an aerial view of the layout

Here is a view looking east along his exit trail to where he made some rubs.
Last edited by Swampthing on Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:30 am

Here is another bed there was virtually nothing to this bed as far as land mass . It was lterally inches in elevation difference to the surrounding cattails. When this buck laid here he was very close to the wet cattails, if he stretched his legs his hoofs would be in water. One little tree grew there which the buck rubbed. Sometimes the only way you find some of these beds is to inspect each little clump of higher ground .
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:38 pm

Ok maybe I ask kinda wrong, I was looking for topo maps showing bedding spots or aerial photos but if you have the photo of the bed itself of that spot would be great as well like some that has be posted already
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:57 pm

jeremy wrote:Ok maybe I ask kinda wrong, I was looking for topo maps showing bedding spots or aerial photos but if you have the photo of the bed itself of that spot would be great as well like some that has be posted already

Look thru the land management forum, there are tons of aerials and topo's showing buck bedding.
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:46 am

Dan, thanks that is what I was looking for. Have you ever thought about doing a online work shop some how.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:57 am

jeremy wrote:Dan, thanks that is what I was looking for. Have you ever thought about doing a online work shop some how.

I have been trying to figure out a way...
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:08 am

You could maybe do a skype type of thing, I would love to do a workshop with ou but being in Ohio it makes it tough.

Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:26 am

dan wrote:
jeremy wrote:Dan, thanks that is what I was looking for. Have you ever thought about doing a online work shop some how.

I have been trying to figure out a way...

This could be pretty easy with a web based conference call service like WebEx or other similar systems. Basically anyone who is involved gets a call in number and a web link to follow along on a screen share run by the call leader. I have used this many times for conference calls at work.
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:06 am

The main issue would be trying to show examples... They don't come across well in pictures or video... Where I think it could work well if an old one fingered typer like myself could learn to use it, would be to do it similar to how I do the map reading right now for $99. We could spread the cost out over several people and everybody could go thru the discussion questions and answers...
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:38 am

dan wrote:The main issue would be trying to show examples... They don't come across well in pictures or video... Where I think it could work well if an old one fingered typer like myself could learn to use it, would be to do it similar to how I do the map reading right now for $99. We could spread the cost out over several people and everybody could go thru the discussion questions and answers...

Dan one option may be for your son or another hunter that lives by you, to come over and run the Webex software while you talk and point things out... After a while you'd have the features figured out.
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:48 am

I am in it will be money well spent, let me know if you need help setting things up. You could do YouTube videos with a paid subscription and do a discussions on each topi.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”