Live From The Field 2014 Scouting Reports

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Live From The Field 2014 Scouting Reports

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:01 am

Since the Live From The Stand threads have been so popular I thought I would start one up for scouting reports as well.

Instead of everyone starting separate threads we could have them all here in one easy to find location. It would be cool to see current live reports from the field or you could just add later. Pictures are the key here as this could be a huge help to guys just getting started in Beast Style Hunting to see what we are all finding.

Were still deep in the dead of winter but figured now is a good time as ever to kick this off.

Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Re: Live From The Field 2014 Scouting Reports

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:06 am

I went out this morning for a couple hours on some small property just to see what it looks like. the snow is just too deep even with snowshoes. can't wait for some of this to melt.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:46 am

Sounds like a great idea to me... we r currently gettin 6-8 inches of snow...ugggg havent been able to get out in a few weeks.. its all cyber scouting for me till the snow melts..

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:52 am

I think we are all going to have a short scouting window this year with all this snow. I just hope I have enough time to get what I all want to get done before it greens up :?

Not sure If i'm going to be doing a lot of turkey hunting this year...
Mibowhunter91

Unread postby Mibowhunter91 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:00 pm

I went out yesterday to check a small area I cyber scouted I made it there found plenty of tracks and one lone bed like I was hoping but I also found 4 stands within 75 yards of the pocket... The snow was just way to deep to try another area. Back to looking at maps I go

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:21 pm

oldrank wrote:Sounds like a great idea to me... we r currently gettin 6-8 inches of snow...ugggg havent been able to get out in a few weeks.. its all cyber scouting for me till the snow melts..

Dude get out and scout if you can, I scouted in 15 inches in Dec. We have 25-30 inches now so scouting is not an option, if I had 6-8 I would be all over it. ;)
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:56 pm

headgear wrote:
oldrank wrote:Sounds like a great idea to me... we r currently gettin 6-8 inches of snow...ugggg havent been able to get out in a few weeks.. its all cyber scouting for me till the snow melts..

Dude get out and scout if you can, I scouted in 15 inches in Dec. We have 25-30 inches now so scouting is not an option, if I had 6-8 I would be all over it. ;)

That's 6 to 8 inches today... we have about 20 plus inches here on the ground right now...I cant even get my truck into the area I hunt cause they don't maintain the roads. Yeah if it was 6 inches Id be all over it.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:22 pm

Ok that is making more sense, misread on my end. With all the snow this year we all might have a shortened scouting season. I know last year sucked, it went from tons of snow to green up fast.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:34 pm

Great idea. I learn a lot too by going back thru these types of discussions.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:10 pm

Walked 6.9 miles today...found two good areas ...devising a plan...tomorrow im walking the fields were all the trails lead too maybe find a shed ...I wish :lol:

snow wasn't bad 8-10 tops plus some occasional drifts ..legs feel like jelly :lol: hey im not complaining
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:32 pm

Dewey wrote:Since the Live From The Stand threads have been so popular I thought I would start one up for scouting reports as well.

Instead of everyone starting separate threads we could have them all here in one easy to find location. It would be cool to see current live reports from the field or you could just add later. Pictures are the key here as this could be a huge help to guys just getting started in Beast Style Hunting to see what we are all finding.

Were still deep in the dead of winter but figured now is a good time as ever to kick this off.

Great idea Dewey. I was just about to suggest on the live from the stand thread that people start their own thread on scouting instead of changing the topic over there.

With crotch deep snow here I don't think I will be scouting anytime soon.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:57 am

Between ill timed big snow fall right after season and crazy winds and cold....I feel there is a unique set of variables taking the "normal" out of information found here in wNY. Then again I am going scouting in an hour....lol. Learning that info gathered in Sept is far more valuable than winter walks due to so many changes here with ag, cover, pressure..... But winter scouting is my fitness initiative and anything learned is still something
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:43 am

Good luck Garrett. I'm heading out myself in a little bit. My son and his friend found a nice 10 point dead yesterday in his bed. The coyotes got to him but they salvaged the rack. Would have been a really nice one this year. Seems like we have had a blanket of snow since the beginning of December. I'll post the buck picture in a little while.

Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:07 am

Here's the rack they found

ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:13 am

Czabs wrote:I think we are all going to have a short scouting window this year with all this snow. I just hope I have enough time to get what I all want to get done before it greens up :?

Not sure If i'm going to be doing a lot of turkey hunting this year...

Last years window was pretty short too, things turned green pretty fast.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”