Live From The Field 2014 Scouting Reports

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Re: Live From The Field 2014 Scouting Reports

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:49 am

BigHunt wrote:walked for about 2 hours today with predator TC ...no sheds but had a great time getting the wheeler stuck in two feet of water :lol: :lol:

What no pics of the buried wheeler;) Must be the day for it, my 14 year old son buried mine in thick mud this morning. It was kind of fun to tell him you got it stuck, you get it out.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:26 am

Rutnstrut wrote:
BigHunt wrote:walked for about 2 hours today with predator TC ...no sheds but had a great time getting the wheeler stuck in two feet of water :lol: :lol:

What no pics of the buried wheeler;) Must be the day for it, my 14 year old son buried mine in thick mud this morning. It was kind of fun to tell him you got it stuck, you get it out.

no no poics ...really wasn't thinking about that at the time when the water was rushing up the side :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:24 am

A couple yards away from this one was another against the cattails.

The deer are shedding.

The best bed I found. The pic doesn't show it well but it is a perfect bed a foot above the ground around it.

It had a couple above average rubs leaving it heading toward a large area with red brush / dogwoods.

Here's a staging area just inside long narrow point out into the marsh. There were a bunch of high rubs. I like the high rubs even if they are on smaller trees.

I identified a few potential kill trees. So far so good with my Cabelas Tundra boots.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:31 am

Nice Bigwoods!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PredatorTC
ProStaff

Unread postby PredatorTC » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:42 am

BigHunt wrote:
Rutnstrut wrote:

no no poics ...really wasn't thinking about that at the time when the water was rushing up the side :lol:

You should see the look on his face when the turkey a half mile gobbled! :lol: Talk about a guy that loves turkeys :D Wheres the photo tyler?
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:49 am

PredatorTC wrote:
BigHunt wrote:
Rutnstrut wrote:

You should see the look on his face when the turkey a half mile gobbled! :lol: Talk about a guy that loves turkeys :D Wheres the photo tyler?

:mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:05 am

Thanks Jackson -- The clock is really ticking for me. So much to do and so little time. I think this fall I will run out of places I've scouted and end up 'point' hunting and hunting with my stand on my back. I'll just have to make the best of it. Before it greens up I may need to change my strategy and scramble to scout as many points as I can looking for ones with oaks and those that look like staging areas just inside the marsh...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:41 pm

Got out for about 6 hours today and put on some miles on some new land. Not a super productive day, one solid buck bedding area but nothing to get too excited about. Found 14 or 15 permanent stands on my journey so that would probably explain the lack of mature buck sign in the area.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:16 pm

BigHunt wrote:
PredatorTC wrote:
BigHunt wrote:
Rutnstrut wrote:

:mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :handgestures-thumbupright:
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:54 pm

I was out turkey hunting today and was covering some ground when I got into an area where some rubs started popping up :P . Figured I would take a break from the grueling turkey chase and do some buck scouting. Down the hill from me was a 30-40 acre cattail/tamarack mixed swamp and I knew that was where I needed to look. As soon as I got to the low ground I sank in up to my knees and I knew it was going to be good. The tamaracks were loaded with beds and there was hair all over in there. I focused on a point of the higher tamarack ground that jutted out into the cattails. There I found a single decent sized rub which was about 20 yards from a big bed.

I picked a tree to hunt this spot and followed a main trail back to the mainland. 50 yards from the hard transition was this nice tall rub.

Looks like one of the better spots I have found this year as far as sign goes.

Also found this little shed in an unrelated spot while searching for turkeys.

Also stumbled upon a heron nesting site. I did not know they built nests in trees but here they were, probably a dozen of them building nests waaay up on top of a big hill above a marsh.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:45 am

Well I went out scouting today and found some knew spots on the same 1,000 arcres of public ground that I hunt. I found some beds today and I think I have a couple of trees picked out now I just have to go back and trim out some trees. Also in this area there is a lot of decent waist high rubs on trees so I think there is a good buck in the area based so the sighn that I found. Than when I got back to my truck I walked down the low maintenance road and looked at some of the tracks crossing the road and low and behold there is two separate sets go good sized tracks walking across the road. I would try to post some picts but not very good at it on this websight.
365buckin

Unread postby 365buckin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:50 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:Good scout today. I went in to a swamp to check a buck bedding area that I located a couple of years ago (2012)... I haven't had time to hunt it. Truth be told, most of you would be stunned by how little hunting I've done over the last couple of years... job / family / divorce... nuff said. Back to the scout today. This buck is bedding on a high ground hummock in a swamp. The bed has a ton of hair in it as the current occupant is shedding. This is a primary bed- the runs coming in to it are very heavily worn and they come from all directions, like spokes on a wheel. This buck beds here on most any wind direction, watching downwind with the wind to his back with noise from the dense cover adding to his protection. He has one large rub next to the bed. His droppings, and there are many of them, are enormous and consistently measure over an inch in length. As many of you know, I start paying attention to droppings when they exceed 3/4" in length (average pellet in the pile) as this almost always gives away a good buck to me. I selected a stand tree in the bucks staging area, which is 120 yards from the bed. He has a couple of good rubs there along with a "buck bed scrape", the scrape closest to a buck's bedding area. I used the "orange glove trick" to select a tree where I couldn't be detected when I set up.

I walked the heavy runs coming in to and out of the bed, to determine his favorites with a prevailing wind that we had today... the buck is shedding, and his favorite runs have single deer hairs littering them coming into and out of the the bed at a much higher concentration than the other runways (how's that for a new scouting tip). A couple of big rubs on high ground at the edge of the swamp that face the bedding area direction, along with the rubs in the staging area marking his route out, give a general indication of how he approaches and exits the bedding area. He approaches the bedding area in the small swamp with the wind to his back and walks right past his bedding area. He then J hooks to the bed, smelling it to be certain it is predator free, before bedding down and facing his final approach with the wind to his back. You cannot get near the bed without busting brush and the buck hearing you if you approach on a side wind. When the buck exits he approaches the edge of the small swamp that contains very mature red and white oaks, with a walk in the same direction but travelling further putting him on a direct approach to agriculture.

I have found sign of a subordinate 3 year old (age last fall) bedding there when "big daddy" beds elsewhere... but the buck is flat out a "hoss" that claims it most of the time. My stand is 120 yards from the bed and it is possible that I can see him from the stand... when the leaves are on the trees.

I've posted pics of rubs from the big buck previously in the spring of 2013... big rubs, big droppings (or poopies as Dan calls them, which cracks me up), big tracks, big bed... nuff said.

Bridge, nice write up! I felt like I was walking along with you as you analyzed this sign. Hope your homework pays off this year for ya!
Be in the woods as often as you can....and as long as you can!
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:21 am

Some stuff I found yesterday This was on an island out in the cattails. These trees are all scarred with old rubs. The bed isn't more than 40 yards from the set. This will make it very interesting as I don't have a ton of experience setting up the LW quietly. I brought the stand in order to get a better idea what I am looking at. Two sticks was good, but I may want to go one higher. The last pic shows a clump of brush and trees where I found the bed and was taken from the set.

URL=https://imageshack.com/i/n8dzcoj]Image[/URL]

chris
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:43 pm

Nice find Chris!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:29 am

Got out for a couple hours after work yesterday, rain so no pics. Decided to rescout an old bedding area and fine tune my setup. Found a big set of tracks going in so a good sign. Prepped a couple of trees, going to be setup right on top of him 50 or so yards away, going to need a little wind on this one. Also hunting low, either 5 feet or 8 feet up.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”