How close will mature bucks bed to does?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Robert

How close will mature bucks bed to does?

Unread postby Robert » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:10 pm

I was out scouting on Saturday, and I found this big bed, with a really big print in it. It was right in front of three falling cedar trees. Could see anything coming at him and wind it from the back. The only thing is about 20 yards away there were about 8 beds that i expect where doe beds. So my question is, do you think that big bed was a buck bed or not? Thanks.

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: How close will mature bucks bed to does?

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:17 am

Robert wrote:I was out scouting on Saturday, and I found this big bed, with a really big print in it. It was right in front of three falling cedar trees. Could see anything coming at him and wind it from the back. The only thing is about 20 yards away there were about 8 beds that i expect where doe beds. So my question is, do you think that big bed was a buck bed or not? Thanks.

Hey, I will tell you this. I have always thought and found most buck beds out by themselves. However, I was out scouting this weekend and jumped up over 20 deer bedded out in a pasture in a small thicket. Guess what came running out of there with all of the does? Yup, a big old giant buck. I was surprised as to see this first hand. My only rationale is hunting pressure or the very small possibility of a fluke yearling being in heat.

I have also had does come out of a buck bedding area while hunting. I was surprised then as well.

There is definitely no absolutes with beds and deer.
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:22 am

I found some smaller buck beds in with does last weekend. My thought it that the weather and food may have them grouped together at this time of year. Am I wrong to assume that some of their bedding habits change throughout the year. For instance, what happens in the summer when they are in bachelor groups?

chris
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:46 am

Considering the time of the season and the yarding effect I would say this COULD be somewhat routine...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:34 am

Wondering also if smaller buck(s) we're bedded near the primary bed due to bucks starting to group back together?

Maybe the satellite buck(s) were repositioning, leaving so many beds.

Were the other beds in circular pattern? Or all on top of each other?

Yarding or bachelor grouping would be my guess.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:29 am

I saw a group of bucks head to a food source last week. They were bedded in an area away from the does (1/2 mile). They were traveling about a mile to a food source. The beds they came from were not typical because of the yarding going on. All the beds they were using during the year were not being used that day.

If you were scouting on another property you would see no fresh sign or beds or deer.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Robert

Unread postby Robert » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:45 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:Wondering also if smaller buck(s) we're bedded near the primary bed due to bucks starting to group back together?

Maybe the satellite buck(s) were repositioning, leaving so many beds.

Were the other beds in circular pattern? Or all on top of each other?

Yarding or bachelor grouping would be my guess.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

They beds were just one here one there. A couple were close but some were about ten feet away by its self. NO real pattern. My feeling is that the are herded up like some of you said, cuz we have a ton of food in our fields by our woods, (i always make my dad leave some down there for the deer). We actually have deer come up to our feed piles for our dairy cows. At times there will be 100 up there in winter time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”