Winter Inventory

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

Winter Inventory

Unread postby kwaldeier » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:26 am

What do you guys do to get an idea of what deer/bucks made it through bow/gun/muzzle seasons? I assume corn piles but there could be a science/trick!?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Southern Man
500 Club

Re: Winter Inventory

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:41 am

I used a corn pile and several cameras. Worked good as long as you keep it going for a while. It took a bit for some of the bucks to make it back around.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:37 am

IMHO you are better off being patient and waiting for spring unless your area is the over-winter area with a good food source. Save the corn cash and buy another camera for spring.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:01 am

i have a couple cams out for fun right now. can't bait so I just went out and walked, put it up on the highest traffic trails/feeding areas I could find based on tracks in snow. Probably will have tons of doe and fawn pics but I guess I will find out when I check the cams. Nothing too strategic about it but hopefully will keep me in the woods.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:21 am

I like to hit a few areas after rifle season to see what made it through, mostly just looking for good sized tracks. This works ok but I have lost countless bucks over the winters, there one year and gone the next. Usually the weather or the wolves finish them off.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:36 am

headgear wrote:I like to hit a few areas after rifle season to see what made it through, mostly just looking for good sized tracks. This works ok but I have lost countless bucks over the winters, there one year and gone the next. Usually the weather or the wolves finish them off.

Yes I agree. I lost a quite a few bucks that were alive after 2012 rifle season. 2013 was tough and not looking any better for 2014. I only have 4 ok to good bucks located for next year that I would consider shooting. Who knows how many of these will live.

Last year was well into the double digits on good buck prospects for fall 2013. Late spring and probably some wolf kills put a big dent into that number.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”