cams...do or dont ?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
oldrank

cams...do or dont ?

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:46 pm

I got a new trail cam for christmas.... i want to get a good look at what deer i have to hunt but cant shine areas i hunt... im thinkin of running my cam on game trails away from bedding areas in july. Im on public n feel thats when nobody will b in the woods. Ill still get decent antler growth n should b able to know what the area is holding..anyone running a cam on public n how do u protect urself from thieves? Any other tips r tricks would b appreciated.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

hunter_mike

Re: cams...do or dont ?

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:53 pm

I just got more into cams this past year and it has been a lot of fun. I know that some of the more experienced people on here say not to run cams in spots that u know are good which makes sense because u can do harm by adding human scent. I like walking around on new public spots and carrying a cam till i find a good strategic lower pressure high deer traffic spot to hang it. I hang mine up 12 ft in trees to keep people's hands off.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Landonk

Unread postby Landonk » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:55 pm

The only way I know to really protect yourself is to place it in a location where it will likely not be seen. A lock only slows down a thief. An honest man will not bother it in the first place.
There are lock box options out there, but I have had several stolen in the past. They always got the locked ones as easily as the ones that weren't.
I am not saying don't lock it up, but be aware that it's hard to stop a motivated thief.

Although I have not tried it yet, elevating the camera high enough that you need to climb the tree with a stand/sticks...etc to reach it is one way to hide it and deter theft at the same time.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:57 pm

This works really well if u want to hang it up high.

viewtopic.php?f=286&t=20008

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:06 pm

Sweet !!! Thanks for the tips

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:58 pm

Great time of year to run cameras.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:36 am

I don't really run them much anymore. I think they cause more harm than good if you check them anymore than every 6-8 weeks. The cell cams are a different story, but they aren't always an option.

If you plan on running them on public, just put them up high and camouflage them really well. July is a great month to put them out.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:38 am

Depends on the situation..... I do use cameras to pattern and kill mature bucks. I think they work but you have to have a bunch of them and know how to use them strategically
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:57 am

oldrank wrote: im thinkin of running my cam on game trails away from bedding areas in july. Im on public n feel thats when nobody will b in the woods. Ill still get decent antler growth n should b able to know what the area is holding..anyone running a cam on public n how do u protect urself from thieves? Any other tips r tricks would b appreciated.

I run cameras on public most of the year. There are only a few times of the year I think people will be in there. But still, I hang them high also, maybe 10-12' high. I try to put them near a limb or some kind structure where they don't stick out. People seldom look up.

I made a climbing stick, taking 2 sections of a set of sticks and tack welded them together. It made it about 8' tall. It's pretty easy to pack in with me, it's lightweight and use 1 strap to hold it to a tree. Works like a charm. I like pics from an elevated camera. I think the pics show a better view of the animal plus the surrounding area is more easily seen. They can still be stolen, but not many people are going to be able to reach them without a second trip in. And they have to see them first. They are more likely to see them at eye level than if they're elevated.

If you do hang them high, experiment with your camera before you do. Hang it high in your yard to get an idea of what it takes to trigger it. The coverts I use have a pretty good detection area, I don't know about other brands. I set one of mine up at the shop and walked back and forth in front of it, moving out about 5 yards at a pass and then checked the pics. This will help you see the detection area and be better able to set it up to maximize pics in the woods.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:50 am

I run them year round, but in areas where I think the deer will end up, not where I will likely hunt near beds. I have an expensive corn baiting habit with them, I will hunt those spots a bit, during the rut and late season though. I use my climber to hang them high, or way off the beaten path, with a bear safe.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:49 am

I ran a few on public last summer and never had a problem. I would hang them around food source and stick them high.

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”