Help with big woods parcel

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

carl1191

Help with big woods parcel

Unread postby carl1191 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi guys. I have this piece of property I am looking into hunting. It is a several thousand acre piece of property with not a lot of elevation change. It does have a lot of small wetlands with some islands and shoulder/head high grass. I am thinking that this is the most likely bedding, but am unsure. How do you guys approach a property such as this. There is an area that was clearcut in 2009 that is probably serving as a main food source. There are some small ag fields adjacent to the property as well that add another food source. Would you expect beddImageing in the wetlands or on the higher ground? Thanks for your help.

carl1191

Re: Help with big woods parcel

Unread postby carl1191 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:53 pm

Here is an areal of the area. You can see the clearcut and one of the small ag fields adjacent to the property. Image
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:38 pm

If you have any kind of hunter pressure check the low land wet areas.

Walk the edges where any type of tree/vegetation change.

Big woods is a lot of work but rewarding when you do score.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:53 am

I agree with Hodags comments.
The whole north west corner of that area looks to have a lot going on. All sorts of edges with the beaver ponds, mature woods meeting regrowth, etc.

I hunt North Wisconsin big woods with similar topography. I have found in my area that you will find the hill country bedding tendencies even though the hills are gentle. Besides scouting all the vegetation edges, you should make an effort to walk the hills with points. You will likely find some buck bedding anywhere a hill point or vegetation point sticks into those beaver sloughs.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:24 am

I too would concentrate on the swampy areas... I am having a real hard time seeing them on your photo though...
carl1191

Unread postby carl1191 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:05 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I should add that this property does receive a lot of pressure. It gets a lot of grouse and squirrel hunting throughout the season and decent bowhunting pressure but heavy pressure during gun season. We just got a bunch of snow, so I am thinking that doing some tracking in the snow could be fun and help me figure the property out. Although it gets a lot of pressure, I feel that it is big enough that you can walk in a mile or more to escape the pressure. When I zoom in on some of the islands in the bigger wetlands I can see what I believe are trails connecting the high ground with the islands. Klemz, that northwest corner did catch my eye as well. One of the wetlands in that area has an island of trees that has a spokewheel of trails leading away from it. Dan, I can post up a closer image of the areas that i'm interested in if it would be easier to see.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”