Scouting Aerials - Input and Suggestions Wanted

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Which would be your primary stand (wind pending)?

Stand 1
No votes
Stand 2
No votes
Stand 3
17%
Other
83%

Total votes: 6
BuckyHunter13

Scouting Aerials - Input and Suggestions Wanted

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:52 am

I could use some feedback and direction on the limited scouting and past observations I've got thus far. I've been going further and further the last few years, but I've always hunted out of fixed permanent or hang-on stands. This year I'm going with a more mobile approach so I can hunt a mile or more in.

First photo is an overview of the section I'm looking at. It's the section I've always hunted the most as it's a public section adjacent to our 8 acres.
Blue Area: The area my dad and I have hunted the last 6 years. Red spots are stands we've had in the past. Of the two outside the blue, one was stolen and the other didn't see deer. We've always put corn out, if for no other reason than to compete with the neighbors that put out a TON. Hunting over corn results in does at last light, and bucks at midnight. I don't plan to do it in any new spots. The Easternmost stands see nice bucks about 30-45 minutes before shooting in AM.

Stand 1: My favorite spot. It is 1+ mile to any road. Roughly 100yd x 60yd mature oak stand surrounded by 50 yd ring of thicket. The green line is a snowmobile trail; my primary access point is from the south. I am looking for an isolated area with food and bedding that is traveled less frequently by people, which is why Stand 1 is my most optimistic area. Several of the oaks are 3+ feet in diameter, the sign is really strong, it's virtually undetectable from the snowmobile trail, and furthest from people. I did hang a camera in this spot over the 4th of July.

Stand 2: Mature oaks along a narrow funnel of thicket. This stand has great potential, but the area can be used by bird hunters, and my dad had a stand stolen near here. It's near the main water sources as well as some of the thickest pine and thickets in the area. I've seen a fair amount of wolf sign in this area in the past.

Stand 3: Just off the snowmobile trail, but it seems to be a transition point between thicket and mature trees.

Alternatives Overview is to show the rest of the huntable land in this section for potential alternative spots. The majority is combination marsh and thicket, offering ample bedding opportunities for the mature bucks. The land is 90% flat which is why I didn't post any topo photos.

Some objective input would be greatly appreciated.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Scouting Aerials - Input and Suggestions Wanted

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:48 am

Hi B.H.13,
And welcome to the Beast.

I've always hunted out of fixed permanent or hang-on stands. This year I'm going with a more mobile approach so I can hunt a mile or more in.

Fixed position stands get a person to hunt the same spots over and over during a single season... After going in to hunt these spots a time or two, I believe the mature bucks no where your at. A lot of my success is in hunting new spots continuously. I hunt spots 1 to 4 times a year with "1" happening a lot more than twice or more... Most of my biggest bucks were taken the 1st time I ever hunted a spot.
We've always put corn out, if for no other reason than to compete with the neighbors that put out a TON. Hunting over corn results in does at last light, and bucks at midnight. I don't plan to do it in any new spots

Putting corn out to keep bucks on your property works... Hunting over it when everybody else is too, don't work so well... The corn becomes like a hunter trap where you see occasional action with small bucks and does and get teased by the presence of mature bucks (rubs, camera pic's, etc.) but never seal the deal... I would suggest hunting adjacent to buck bedding rather than corn piles.

by people, which is why Stand 1 is my most optimistic area. Several of the oaks are 3+ feet in diameter, the sign is really strong, it's virtually undetectable from the snowmobile trail, and furthest from people. I did hang a camera in this spot over the 4th of July.

Looks like a good spot, but I would be hunting the edges between the oaks and the bedding right where they come out of the thick stuff before reaching the oaks. I would also either remove the camera, or not check it till you hunt. Every time you enter that spot you hurt your chances of success by tipping off the bucks.

The majority is combination marsh and thicket, offering ample bedding opportunities for the mature bucks

I would be concentrating on the wet areas, or islands in the marsh surrounded by water.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:50 am

My vote for your poll was "other"... Because I would move to a new spot just about every hunt, and if I hunted the spots you picked, I would likely be more into the thick areas, and it would be a one time sit.
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:58 am

Thanks Dan. I just picked up a lone wolf assault as my mobile hunting set up. It makes perfect sense as to why we're seeing the does and young bucks, and was basically the feeling I had. We do see the occasional cruising buck during the rut, but we are just as likely to get skunked. I don't plan to check the cam more than once or twice, but I did want to get some confirmation that the deer are moving through there at some point. The marsh is pretty much dry by September, aside from those ponds. These areas are occasionally traveled by people from the west, so I think I'd be better off finding somewhere to set up off the thicket in the east.

Do you trim trees every sit, or at all? Outside of the larger stands of oaks, the vast majority of the huntable trees don't offer more than a 10-15 yard shot at best.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:47 am

I think early season I would certainly be hunting near the thickets that have trails leading to the oaks, especially isolated oaks...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:53 am

Do you trim trees every sit, or at all? Outside of the larger stands of oaks, the vast majority of the huntable trees don't offer more than a 10-15 yard shot at best.
I only trim if I have to... Most of the public I hunt don't allow trimming.

One really productive way to kill big bucks is to put that new L/W stand you got on your back and walk the down wind edges of those thickets you speak of till you find good sign coming out and set up... No action? start there the next day and wander down the transition line farther till you find sign again... Your always in a new spot, and sooner or later your going to stumble into where the big buck is vacating the thicket... You learn a lot doing this too...
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:02 am

BuckyHunter13 wrote:The Easternmost stands see nice bucks about 30-45 minutes before shooting in AM.

Looks as though 'easternmost stands' would be closest to the marsh?

I would be heading that way. Big bucks don't mind getting their feet wet to keep from getting holes in their hide. Looks like a couple islands in that swamp if I am seeing it correctly.

I haven't seen the topos obviously but don't overlook small topographic features in areas that are largely void of them, they can be key. Also, make sure you are using a topo site that shows a lot of detail otherwise these small changes would be missed. Sorry if this is crap you already know, you seem pretty well enlightened from your post. But I think going mobile and focusing on bedding(if you don't already) will give you a new perspective.

Welcome
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:45 am

PalmettoKid wrote:
BuckyHunter13 wrote:The Easternmost stands see nice bucks about 30-45 minutes before shooting in AM.

Looks as though 'easternmost stands' would be closest to the marsh?

I would be heading that way. Big bucks don't mind getting their feet wet to keep from getting holes in their hide. Looks like a couple islands in that swamp if I am seeing it correctly.

I haven't seen the topos obviously but don't overlook small topographic features in areas that are largely void of them, they can be key. Also, make sure you are using a topo site that shows a lot of detail otherwise these small changes would be missed. Sorry if this is crap you already know, you seem pretty well enlightened from your post. But I think going mobile and focusing on bedding(if you don't already) will give you a new perspective.

Welcome

The easternmost refers to the two in the blue shading, sorry that was kind of confusing. Hunting the marsh is pretty good during the rut, but all my experience says these deer are bedding further East, basically in and around the dead center of the section. There's a lot of activity around the outskirts, and it's only about .2 miles to the furthest east stand inside the blue.

After hearing some of the advice, I'm wondering if setting up off one of these smaller marshes could be successful as well. This particular area is dead flat aside from the channel running through the marsh.

And I agree, going completely mobile is going to change my perspective and hopefully make the area feel a whole lot bigger (and smaller), hopefully resulting in fewer all day sits with nothing but a fawn or two at last light.

Not that I haven't had success, we've shot plenty of deer -- Just not the ones that we get on camera, and the good ones we do shoot don't feel as though they're on purpose. I'm trying to break out of the casual-hunter mold that a large portion of my group is. Nothing wrong with it, I just want to shoot big deer.
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:51 am

dan wrote:
I only trim if I have to... Most of the public I hunt don't allow trimming.

One really productive way to kill big bucks is to put that new L/W stand you got on your back and walk the down wind edges of those thickets you speak of till you find good sign coming out and set up... No action? start there the next day and wander down the transition line farther till you find sign again... Your always in a new spot, and sooner or later your going to stumble into where the big buck is vacating the thicket... You learn a lot doing this too...

I've found a few great areas where this is happening in some of those corners off the watering holes. It's always been too difficult to get a stand out there and find a tree to get it up in. That will change this year.

Also, this is not the only area I'll be hunting. I've got 3-4 other new areas I'm excited about, but they're a little more straightforward in either deer movement or where I have access to. So I won't be burning out this particular property, I'll probably hunt the acorns early then get out until the rut.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:38 pm

BuckyHunter13 wrote:Not that I haven't had success, we've shot plenty of deer -- Just not the ones that we get on camera, and the good ones we do shoot don't feel as though they're on purpose. I'm trying to break out of the casual-hunter mold that a large portion of my group is. Nothing wrong with it, I just want to shoot big deer.

You have come to the right place, that is for sure.

If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and pick up the 2 DVD's 'Hunting Marsh Bucks' and 'Hill Country Bucks' available in the store. The information on those DVD's is priceless.

In the meantime search the forum for keywords such as:

Buck Bed
Transition
Staging

You will find a plethora of very interesting and informative threads.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:37 am

PalmettoKid wrote:
BuckyHunter13 wrote:Not that I haven't had success, we've shot plenty of deer -- Just not the ones that we get on camera, and the good ones we do shoot don't feel as though they're on purpose. I'm trying to break out of the casual-hunter mold that a large portion of my group is. Nothing wrong with it, I just want to shoot big deer.

You have come to the right place, that is for sure.

If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and pick up the 2 DVD's 'Hunting Marsh Bucks' and 'Hill Country Bucks' available in the store. The information on those DVD's is priceless.

In the meantime search the forum for keywords such as:

Buck Bed
Transition
Staging

You will find a plethora of very interesting and informative threads.

I have to say, it feels like Archery Talk concentrate over here... Twice the information, 1/10th the number of bow pictures. :D But in all seriousness, thanks for the key word advice. It's easy to get sucked into thinking only customized input will work when there are years of discussion already available. I'm headed up again this weekend and it should be cool enough I can do some non-invasive walking and perhaps get in an observation sit or two from a good distance.

There's been some logging in another area I'm interested in. I'd like to get way up high on the outside edge and watch for movement in the slash. Good idea, bad idea? If the wind is right and I'm sitting near the road with a good pair of binos, I shouldn't get busted. Plus it will give me a chance to practice setting up my LW.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:47 am

There's been some logging in another area I'm interested in. I'd like to get way up high on the outside edge and watch for movement in the slash. Good idea, bad idea? If the wind is right and I'm sitting near the road with a good pair of binos, I shouldn't get busted. Plus it will give me a chance to practice setting up my LW.

Sounds like a good idea to me!
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:36 pm

I want to post an update on how my season went. I didn't learn about the beast until (July) so this will be my first full year of scouting and hunting specific beds. I hunted this past season based off a lot advice and education from beast members. I didn't seal the deal but I went from only ever seeing one 'good' buck (8+Pts, outside the ears) in the last 6 years to seeing 7 bucks in the 115-140" range this season. I had 4 encounters with deer within 30 yards on the ground, without getting busted - while moving to or from a setup-- thanks to creeping. I was at full draw on a good doe at about 12 yards, but couldn't get on the vitals before she bumped 10-15 yards without a shot. I had a 130ish buck within 30 yards walking parallel with me (until I saw him!). I was within about 70 yards of where I planned to set up when I saw him - I about died.

The point being - I easily had the most fun, exhausting season of my life without ever letting an arrow fly. I'm looking forward to putting in a full year circuit of beast hunting and letting the obsession expand from 6 to 12 months.

I hunted one of the spots on this thread (Stand 1) opening weekend and only saw a doe and fawn. I was seeing good deer in other areas so I let it be for most of the season. I hunted there the evening of opening day gun and had a nice 8 come out eating acorns a half hour before dark. This is a good indicator of the comfort level the deer must have with this spot. It reinforced my confidence in the area. The very next weekend I watched a GREAT 10 walk the northern edge scanning the oaks while wind checking the whole area. I never got a shot but it was more reinforcement.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say thanks. I look forward to learning so much more from Dan and the rest of you on this site. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Thanks for the update 8-)
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:00 am

Haha yea, I wanted to update without starting a whole new thread. I know a lot of guys find this site in July or August, begin learning a ton but also see that they're maybe 10 months from implementing everything they're reading. I completely altered the way I hunt and saw immediate results that lasted all season. I wasn't hunting specific beds most of the time because I hadn't scouted Feb-April, but I could hunt likely bedding areas and this is where 3 or 4 of the bucks it saw came from. It's easier to preach patience when you've got a stable of beds in your head, but maybe my experience will encourage some summer sign ups to learn what they can and see some results. I figure by July I'll be talking about having patience so I thought I'd share now.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”