Great sale on two trail cams

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Great sale on two trail cams

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:53 am

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Great sale on two trail cams

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:57 am

(Note that the above Trophy Cam is the model with the built in color view finder.)
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:05 am

Deerslayer, Thanks for the info. Have you used them before, if so how do you like them?
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:52 am

Personal opinion - stay away from any flash cam.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:19 am

I use to think that too AC, that is until my cousin just got about 25 pictures of the buck that is now my avatar.... He was not spooked one bit, but I really did think before, the same as you, infared only..... I dont know, maybe it all depends on the buck, some will spook, some will not....?
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:51 am

Black Squirrel wrote:Deerslayer, Thanks for the info. Have you used them before, if so how do you like them?

I have not used or know of anybody off hand that has used the Sentry (I think chasingame.com had a good review on them although I might be wrong), but I know several people that have used & love the Trophy Cam. The only complaint I have heard about it is that it doesn't have a laser aiming device built in, but it doesn't seem to be a problem for people that have them. I know Autumn Ninja uses a Trophy Cam and likes it. Maybe he will see this and post some photos from his.

dreaming bucks wrote:...I dont know, maybe it all depends on the buck, some will spook, some will not....?

That has been my experience, but that was using my Moultrie I40. The IR glows like a toaster. When I put it on video I get to see their immediate reaction. I would imagine a flash would have similar results. I have heard from some people it can scare the living day lights out of some deer while have little apparent effect on others. However, I question whether it will make a mature animal come in well after dark despite their apparent lack of fear.

NOTE: A tip I keep giving, but I don't think anybody is listening to is ALWAYS go to chasingame.com and read their reviews before buying!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:52 am

Great deal!! :D :D Thanks for the info.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:00 am

dreaming bucks wrote:I use to think that too AC, that is until my cousin just got about 25 pictures of the buck that is now my avatar.... He was not spooked one bit, but I really did think before, the same as you, infared only..... I dont know, maybe it all depends on the buck, some will spook, some will not....?

I think you are right - some bucks spook, some don't. I've had too many never appear again after getting "zapped" by a flash and don't want to take the chance.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:54 am

Here is a couple examples of what I mean about spooking them. The IR usually comes on about 1 second before the video starts. Neither of these deer showed up in front of the camera again. I don't think I seen that doe during daylight again even though both deer were out in my food plots almost every day during daylight before that. It seems like a flash could be worse. I did pass up a shot at that buck on the bow opener though (before he broke his G2), but I wish I hadn't since trespassers moved in and drove him 1.5 miles down the road and he got shot on Thanksgiving morning. One more reason I don't like our long gun season. :(

http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff34 ... ureDoe.mp4

http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff34 ... as10pt.mp4
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:01 am

A couple Trophy Cam photos from last year.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:46 am

I love that first one Autum.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:59 am

since its being discussed again ill add my 2 cents this time. i have taken thousands of photos with all kinds of cams. flash and "fake" ir. the kind with the red glow. and i can tell you this--- i have way more deer pics od deer staring at the fake ir"S. why? because they make a clicking noise/with slow trigger speeds also most of the time that is loud enough for the deer to hear. i dont think its so much the light. whats gonna scare these deer is human scent more than anything. i will take a flash cam any day over the fake ir, now i dont have much experience with true ir simply cause of the cost and the quality of pics. the cheaper ones have terrible quality from what ive seen and the good ones are very pricy. to this day nothing can match the quality of old film cams and thats too bad. and to this day nothing can match the dpendability of the old camtrakker i had. (yet) to each their own im going strictly from my experiences and my pics from the areas i hunt.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:16 am

tim wrote:...i have way more deer pics od deer staring at the fake ir"S. why? because they make a clicking noise/with slow trigger speeds also most of the time that is loud enough for the deer to hear...

Tim, I have a Scout Guard 550 which is IR and still have the same problem. I have put my ear to with in inches of my SG550 and could not hear any noise. However, the examples I gave were from a Moultrie I40 which has a clearly audible "clunk" and the deer tend to snap to attention with that camera which is another reason I didn't buy any more Moultries.

tim wrote:...whats gonna scare these deer is human scent more than anything. i will take a flash cam any day over the fake ir...

When I set up my cams I try not to walk where the deer are likely to walk and I try to do it right before a rain, but it's always a risk.
I will take a "fake" IR (It's actually true IR, jut not of an invisible wave length) over the flash cam. I miss the night pics of a flash cam, but I will give up the color pictures to get what I feel is a little more stealth. It's to bad we can't have our cake and eat it too with IR. Although Uway has a a black flash for only $250.

tim wrote:...to this day nothing can match the quality of old film cams and thats too bad. and to this day nothing can match the dpendability of the old camtrakker i had. (yet) to each their own im going strictly from my experiences and my pics from the areas i hunt.

It seems like those Camtrakkers were a little pricey for their time? I think you might be able to buy some of the newer cams out there that would be comparably priced considering inflation over the years, that have as good or better a picture as the Camtrackker. Some of the newer more expensive cams have super nice photo quality.

tim wrote:...im going strictly from my experiences and my pics from the areas i hunt.

Thats all you can do. 8-) 8-)
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:12 am

I just noticed that they also had the regular Trophy cam (with out the color viewfinder) on sale also.

http://catalogs.natchezss.com/D172010/full.asp?page=31

There are some other good sales on there also. I hope someone on here finds something they are looking for in this online sales flier.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”