New Beast pre scouting help.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

slapendraagt

New Beast pre scouting help.

Unread postby slapendraagt » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:45 am

I am new to the Hunting Beast nation and LOVE IT!

I am looking for some help in scouting areas I am looking to hunt BEAST STYLE. I am going to be hitting the ground scouting soon and would like some input on areas to explore more in depth.

This image shows a piece of private property I hunt near Fennville, MI. The white line indicated a two track used by farmers to access the south field (bottom). As you can see by the topo lines there is a large gully that leads to a small creek at the bottom. The area to the east(right) of the road is very thick brush and has multiple fingers leading into crop fields. The area to the west(left) is open hardwoods. The neighboring property to the east contains a large area of thick brush as seen on the NE side of my current property.

The next two images are the East and West sides of a public piece of land near my home is West Michigan. The green dots on the images show tree stand/ground blinds I have found on the property during winter scouting. BTW the blue arrows are indicating blueberry fields. Each side has a very thick area of undergrowth near the creek.

Thanks in advance.

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: New Beast pre scouting help.

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:10 am

Got some USGS topos you could post? Can't zoom in on those elevation lines very well.
slapendraagt

Unread postby slapendraagt » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:12 am

Image[img][IMG]

Here is a zoomed in topo of the area.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:52 pm

Here you go man. I'd start out just walking all of these areas. pay attention to the obscure "overlooked" cover and slow down when you think you might have found a buck bed. Good luck man and keep us updated.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:54 pm

BTW,

Welcome to the Beast!!
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:46 pm

Im pretty new to the beast style of hunting myself, and one mistake I find myself making when scouting sometimes is moving through an area too fast. If you think your in a good area, slow down and try to read all the sign the area has to offer

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:03 am

On the public land walk the edges... Anywhere two different types or ages of plant growth meet
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Welcome to the Beast. It's great to see a new enthusiastic member.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
slapendraagt

Unread postby slapendraagt » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:36 am

I scouted this property over the weekend and here is a little of what I found. The yellow lines are indicating some deer trails. Found a couple that I never knew about and would explain alot. There was a nice parallel trail on the north side of the gully that lead into the finger. Definately looks like they may be entering the field from there sometimes but it is too deep and steep for bedding. Picked a tree to set up and also found a rub in that finger. Heading south from there I followed trails south into the gully and found two more rubs within 5 feet of eachother. I couldn't find any beds specifically because flooding had laid all the marsh grass down flat. The blue dots are indicating spots that I found to be perfect bedding for bucks on a couple of points overlooking the gully and wind coming acrossed the field. The finger in the field furthest south is definatelly a bedding area. It was perfect and I even found some spinal and rib bones from a dead deer. The inside corner on the north-east side of that field has a nice trail inside the woodline along the top of the gully (nice funnel as pointed out) There were also a couple of points in that area that looked perfect for buck bedding. These points overlooked the gully and would have the wind comingover the field again. I definately have a better idea of what to do now that I hit it hard. Going back next week to finish up.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”