to scout or not to scout...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

to scout or not to scout...

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:59 am

that is the question...

ever have one of those days where you finally had time to get out scouting, but when you woke up you were under the weather due to illness? did you tough it out, or wait for greener pastures?

i debated for an hour early on, it sure would have been easy to relax... after all, I was miserable when I got up. BUT, it was gut-check time... load the gear, hit the road and come heck or high water I was going to scout. I did modify my plan due to being under the weather- rather than heading to a new, very remote and difficult to access spot I had cyber scouted, I decided to scout the overlooked spots I had labeled in the same area.

These spots were close to the road, but when cyber scouting I really felt other hunters would completely overlook them. I had placed the coordinates in my gps at home last evening. On arrival, I parked my truck and headed out to scout an area I had never been to before. As I reached my destination waypoint, I looked straight ahead and five (5) feet in front of me was a large buck bed... heavily worn and with deer hair in the bed. :mrgreen:

There were a couple of rubs next to the bed, and fresh tracks. I believe a three (3) year old had spent quite a bit of time bedding here last fall based on the tracks / rubs / bed size and droppings. I picked out the one tree in for a couple of hundred yards in any direction that would hold a treestand a few feet off the ground... and it happened to be in bow range of one of his primary staging routes when he exits the bed. This area receives a lot of pressure, and it is rare for bucks to make it to their third birthday.

The day was off to a great start- less than five minutes after leaving my truck I was standing in a decent buck bed. I moved on to the next spot I had marked and found another good buck bed, along with a satellite bed that it appeared a yearling had spent a lot of time in last fall. Less than an hour into my scout, I had located three different buck beds in an area where I had never set foot before.

Why am I telling this?? It would have been awful easy to stay home, being under the weather and all...

git-r-done!

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: to scout or not to scout...

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:34 am

Good post.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:33 am

I stayed home today from being sick, but will be out there tomorrow. If I felt better I would of been at the deer expo all weekend instead, but then no scouting time so guess its better off.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:53 pm

Great job SB!

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:24 pm

Yeah!!!!!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:29 pm

Nothing will make you feel better than going scouting and finding a great set up for a big buck! 8-)

A few hours outdoors is great therapy to cure your sickness! ;)

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:40 pm

My weekends have been plagued by bad weather. Usually Snow, and today alot of rain. I have rain gear, but I prefer fair weather for me to be in the woods. I got out yesterday for the first time this year and made good use of my time because I really don't know if the weather is gonna suck and/or turkey hunters will be in the woods in the next coming weekends. There are two more properties I want to take a look at before this summer. Most of the marshes are flooded out in my area right now too. :cry: Hopefully you feel better on your next trip SB. ;)
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:35 am

There are days when nothing short of a death certificate will keep me out of the woods, and other days all I have to do is stub my little toe and all hope is lost.

I think it has to do with how prepared I am and the quality of the area/spot I intend to scout. If I don't have a solid plan and confidence in getting onto a good buck, I am easily distracted. Much like hunting.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:20 am

adrenalin wrote:I stayed home today from being sick, but will be out there tomorrow. If I felt better I would of been at the deer expo all weekend instead, but then no scouting time so guess its better off.

right on, adrenalin- if it comes down to a deer show vs. scouting, the latter is a tremendous value. 8-)
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:25 am

Dewey wrote:Nothing will make you feel better than going scouting and finding a great set up for a big buck! 8-)

A few hours outdoors is great therapy to cure your sickness! ;)

Dewey speaks a lot of truth! I really thought the physical exertion would make things a lot worse...

but when I returned to my truck, I remember thinking... "wow, I actually feel better". Amazing, the healing power of the woods and swamps on us Beasts...
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:32 am

Crazinamatese wrote: There are two more properties I want to take a look at before this summer. Most of the marshes are flooded out in my area right now too. :cry: Hopefully you feel better on your next trip SB. ;)

I have to remind myself that some of us have turkey hunters setting up in their areas... I would try to scout midday, or keep bumping around until I find an area to scout that is without activity for the day.

I never have to worry about this in my swamps, deer hunters don't go where I do let alone turkey hunters... its too nasty and thick. I do have some spots close to home where turkey hunters may be a factor, though.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:38 am

PalmettoKid wrote:There are days when nothing short of a death certificate will keep me out of the woods, and other days all I have to do is stub my little toe and all hope is lost..

:lol:

PalmettoKid wrote:I think it has to do with how prepared I am and the quality of the area/spot I intend to scout. If I don't have a solid plan and confidence in getting onto a good buck, I am easily distracted. Much like hunting.

Very true- I had done extensive planning with cyberscouting, trip planning, all my gear was packed and ready to go...

being prepared makes a difference.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:12 am

I would rather scout when feeling good... Because I want to be into my scouting and not miss anything.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:23 am

dan wrote:I would rather scout when feeling good... Because I want to be into my scouting and not miss anything.

Especially if you have a lot of time to scout. But I'll take 3 buck beds over staying home any day.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:11 am

I've had those days...I was on the road 15 hours between scouting and driving on Saturday..The next day i didn't feel like going but I put in another 5 hours of scouting on Sunday. The snow really reduced my time to scout this year; It's now or never for me :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”