Small 10 acre suburban tract

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PLB
500 Club

Small 10 acre suburban tract

Unread postby PLB » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:24 am

Has any beasts hunted these types of pieces?? I'm looking at a 10 acre wooded, suburban tract about 10 minutes from my house. It would be perfect for after work during the week. Pretty much hunting in a guys backyard. Surrounding me would be houses and businesses and some main roads. Seems odd because I've never hunted like this before.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Re: Small 10 acre suburban tract

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:10 pm

There are some spots near my house that hold some mega bucks..but all the property owners are jerks.

Most suburban areas are good. Just don't overhunt it.
Last edited by Dewey on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited for language.
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:20 pm

Me and my brother hunt a few parcels like this in west michigan, this is not my favorite way to hunt but it fills a gap when I can't hunt north. These deer are a diffrent animal altogether, czabs is right do not overhunt cause the mature deer will figure you out but on the same note these deer are way more tolerable to human presence and scent. Our situation sounds very similiar to yours , in respects to hunting in between houses. We established a couple small plots and amineral lick which we run cameras on summer and see somedecent neighborhood deer. If iI was you I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket but I definitly wouldn't pass the opportunity to hunt this spot good luck!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:52 pm

I have only hunted spots like that in my dreams. Never have killed one in my dreams either.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Most suburban areas are good. Just don't overhunt it.

The mature bucks will go to the property with the least pressure... The trick is to have everything they need / want on yours. THAT WOULD INCLUDE SECURITY (LESS PRESSURE)
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:12 pm

I have a couple places like this.
1) keep a low profile at all times.
2) when you shoot something, you may want to spine it, or else you'll have trouble with it dyin on someone else's lot.
3) like Dan said, low pressure. Mature deer know the difference between hunter pressure and home owner activity. Most of the time I don't wear camo, til I am at the base of the tree.

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
westmibow

Unread postby westmibow » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 am

I hunt an area like this. Key is access routes, low pressure, make a good shot...lol.
ah110

Unread postby ah110 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:07 am

10 acres is considered big around here.

Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:43 am

I hunt a handful of small plots like this (<10 acres), not all of them are surrounded by houses but a few are. It's been my experience with the deer I've shot in the smaller woods lots don't leave after they have been hit as long as you don't bump them. ( I actually haven't had any leave but I'm sure it will eventually happen). I might hunt on of these properties once or twice a year. Some of them I haven't been to in a few years.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:58 am

Only hunt it a handful of times per season....Pressure is everything in a spot like that.
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:31 am

Pretty sure you should pass on it and send it my way! Jk, I've hunted small wood lots in the past and enjoy it. It's a bit odd watching people back out of their garage while you're in stand but the deer are used to more activity so that can play to your advantage. The only problem I've run into on a suburban type hunt is trespassing. I've had neighbors walk through because they think no one uses the woods and certainly have no clue someone hunts it. After I very politely told one group of young kids to move out after they started building a fort 40 yards from my tree (with me in it) my $50 ladder stand went missing. If you stay low key and mobile it could be great. Good luck!

gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:48 am

I totally agree on staying low key, I don't like to sneak around but the less people that know you are hunting the better. Some people get all nervous when they see a guy all camo with a bow, then they gossip etc. Every deer I have arrowed usually doesn't make it out of my woodlot unless its a non fatal hit. I've watched bucks wait for people and dogs to walk by before crossing a driveway lol. These suburban deer are diffrent but still fun to hunt

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:12 am

Low key is very important... 1st off, if he has liberal neighbors they will freak out if they find out he is letting hunters on his land and put pressure on the land owner to remove you. If that don't work, they will purposfulkly make noise or cause issues while you hunt. 2nd, if he has hunting neighbors they will try and squeeze in and hunt there too...
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:07 am

dan wrote:Low key is very important... 1st off, if he has liberal neighbors they will freak out if they find out he is letting hunters on his land and put pressure on the land owner to remove you. If that don't work, they will purposfulkly make noise or cause issues while you hunt. 2nd, if he has hunting neighbors they will try and squeeze in and hunt there too...

Yup, all kinds of drama hunting in the city. It used to be easy getting access but these days it is really tough.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:08 am

Decided it ain't for me... If I can shoot a 140 inch buck in the public northwoods, I must be doing something right!! I love Beast style hunting!! 100 percent public turkey and deer again this season....

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”