Keying in on what?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

woody-san

Keying in on what?

Unread postby woody-san » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:13 am

I'm noticing that during a scout, when I find higher concentrations of deer scat, a bed usually isn't too far away. It's getting to the point where deer crap is the top sign I'm looking for to let me know that I'm in an area where deer spend a lot of their time. Obviously, there's probably a lot on a food source, but I'm referring to areas in the woods that look like bedding on a topo/aerial.

Anyone else feel this way? Would you go as far as saying that if you aren't finding crap, you're probably not in the right place?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Keying in on what?

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:17 am

A lot of the best beds are not getting used right now... That being the case, you would have to look hard to find scat. It might be a helping clue in some cases, but I would not recommend relying on it.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:59 am

woody-san wrote:I'm noticing that during a scout, when I find higher concentrations of deer scat, a bed usually isn't too far away. It's getting to the point where deer crap is the top sign I'm looking for to let me know that I'm in an area where deer spend a lot of their time. Obviously, there's probably a lot on a food source, but I'm referring to areas in the woods that look like bedding on a topo/aerial.

Anyone else feel this way? Would you go as far as saying that if you aren't finding crap, you're probably not in the right place?

When the deer yard up it is tough to locate beds that will be used next fall. If you are finding lots of scat I would look real hard in that area for antler drops.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:59 am

Crap is one piece of the puzzle for me. I pay more attention to it when I'm in-season scouting. I use it to find doe groups which is very important for rut hunting. Crap is a good scouting tool because it's easy to determine how old it is. I hunt big woods areas and the deer tend to wander more so crap is a great tool.
Scouting out of season crap is pretty much ignored because deer tend to relocate to winter over.
bblefty

Unread postby bblefty » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:01 am

Its definitely played a key part in being where the does are for me as well this past season. Once I start seeing those ACORN hulls in crap, I can focus on the acorn flats.
woody-san

Unread postby woody-san » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:19 pm

Thanks for the responses, I'll keep them in mind when scouting this spring!
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:30 am

bblefty wrote:Its definitely played a key part in being where the does are for me as well this past season. Once I start seeing those ACORN hulls in crap, I can focus on the acorn flats.

Are you able to see this, or do you have to pick it up and mash it? Ive never seen this, but admittedly oaks are abundant where I typ hunt.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”