Do rubs give you an idea what direction a deer is heading?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
dennism

Do rubs give you an idea what direction a deer is heading?

Unread postby dennism » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:18 pm

I went out today and scouted a piece of public today that I've spent a lot of time scouting a couple years ago. It's a huge swamp with super thick red brush everywhere and use to have water up to your thigh. I was able to find 3 beds pretty much right in the middle of it with a trail that I could see now that the leaves are off running north and south the whole way though the swamp. To the south is private farm fields that has blinds all over it and to the north is the public with tons of oaks. The only way I could tell they were beds was by hair in the bed and some really old rubs on trees, but not a lot. I covered that part of the swamp pretty good and decided to check out a spot that I found 2 or 3 years ago that had some of the biggest rubs that I've ever seen.
So the rubs look like they haven't been messed with since then. But what has changed is 6 tree stands in an area the size of about an acre! I know last season with everything being so dry you could move around back there with just some rubber boots if that. So i was bummed about that but what can you do? I worked my way back south though the swamp until I came to the private and the walked the swamp back to the truck. I was pretty much just plowing though red brush and breaking though knee deep ice and I see a big ceder with a rub on it the looked the exact same as the ones I found a couple years ago. There was hair on the tree and bark on the ground. I also noticed a faint trail heading north and south. I followed it it where the beds were that I found earlier in the day. So if the rub was on the south side of the tree can I assume that the buck make it heading back to his bed in the morning and that he heads north in the evening? I couldn't find any more rubs and it's like a lake back there and I couldn't see any tracks in what was left of the ice. And while I'm at it how about scrapes in an area like that? Or a primary scrape area? It wouldn't be back in that swamp with all that water would it?

Swampthing
500 Club

Re: Do rubs give you an idea what direction a deer is headin

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:32 pm

There are very few scrapes in my hunting area but often the ones I find are back in the swamp. All it takes is a little relatively open spot to have a good scrape It would'nt surprise me if there are a few back there.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:53 pm

Rubs are usually made on the side of the tree the deer is coming from... So if he is heading south, the north side of the tree would be rubbed.
Scrapes in swamps on trails coming from or too a bed won't be "in water" but they could possibly be on the 1st piece of high ground along the trail.
dennism

Unread postby dennism » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:40 am

Hey thanks for the info guys. That's what I've read about the rubs. I've seen small bucks rub and they were all over the place but I guess that was in a staging area not on a trail. I can't wait for October!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”