Rub I found 3-10-13 plus bed pics

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Dewey

Rub I found 3-10-13 plus bed pics

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:29 pm

I had to work yesterday so it didn't matter what the weather was like today because I was determined to do some scouting. Cool, dense fog, light winds, and drizzle. Seemed like a perfect day to me!

Pretty excited about this rub and thought I would share. Still trying to figure out if the buck that made it is alive or still bedding around the area I scouted today. Would be great if I could find sheds to know for sure.

I am 5' 11" and the rub came up to the top of my chest!

I know this spot very well and last time I was here was early November and this rub was not there then. Normally I don't get real excited by a rub from the previous season but this is very close to where I saw a buck that I am very confident was a Booner during the rut last season. Two years ago I saw an even bigger buck only a few hundred yards from here late season so I know the area holds some good ones.

Much easier getting around since the snowpack dropped plenty but flooding is starting in many areas. The marsh is filling up fast! :dance:

Today was one of those days that you could smell deer beds before you see them! Anybody else experience this before? I notice this most this time of the year when there is a perfect balance of dampness, temp and light winds. When I walked downwind of suspected bedding I could smell the most heavily used beds since they were soiled pretty good with plenty of urine and droppings. My nose led me right to quite a few beds! 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Jackson Marsh

Re: Rub I found today!

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:39 pm

Good find Dewey :clap:
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:41 pm

Dewey wrote:I had to work yesterday so it didn't matter what the weather was like today because I was determined to do some scouting. Cool, dense fog, light winds, and drizzle. Seemed like a perfect day to me!

Pretty excited about this rub and thought I would share. Still trying to figure out if the buck that made it is alive or still bedding around the area I scouted today. Would be great if I could find sheds to know for sure.

I am 5' 11" and the rub came up to the top of my chest!

I know this spot very well and last time I was here was early November and this rub was not there then. Normally I don't get real excited by a rub from the previous season but this is very close to where I saw a buck that I am very confident was a Booner during the rut last season. Two years ago I saw an even bigger buck only a few hundred yards from here late season so I know the area holds some good ones.

Much easier getting around since the snowpack dropped plenty but flooding is starting in many areas. The marsh is filling up fast! :dance:

Today was one of those days that you could smell deer beds before you see them! Anybody else experience this before? I notice this most this time of the year when there is a perfect balance of dampness, temp and light winds. When I walked downwind of suspected bedding I could smell the most heavily used beds since they were soiled pretty good with plenty of urine and droppings. My nose led me right to quite a few beds! 8-)

Funny you bring that up. I was scouting today too and smelled where deer had been bedding. I actually bumped out a dozen or so deer before I got there from the looks of it . The odor was quite strong. Picked it up one other place later in the day as well.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:07 pm

8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:29 am

Here are a few more pics of beds I found.

Nothing really special about this one. Pretty open area but figured a deer bedded here because of the thick overhead canopy from the pine tree. Good dry bedding I suppose.

This bed in this pic below is directly behind and about 10 yards from the big rub I posted at the top of this thread. This bed has been used for many years by a number of different bucks. This bed has been really good the last 4-5 seasons and I have had some great buck sightings near it. Can't say for sure if the buck that made the big rub is bedding here. Another piece of the puzzle to figure out.

These two beds are in thick cover and may be doe beds.

Jackson Marsh

Re: Rub I found 3-10-13 plus bed pics

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:11 pm

Dewey,

Without revealing to much information, can you expand on why that buck bed has been a good one? Is the bed used with any wind or only with a certain wind? Overlooked area or a remote spot hunters rarely go?

Thanks

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:56 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Dewey,

Without revealing to much information, can you expand on why that buck bed has been a good one? Is the bed used with any wind or only with a certain wind? Overlooked area or a remote spot hunters rarely go?

Thanks

The bed is fairly remote but also overlooked by everyone else. It is a small "island" only about 30 yards across in flooded timber and cattails that is always completely surrounded by water. (except last year) It is very hard to find because it's only a 1-2 foot rise above the water and this is why bucks love to bed here. Thick cover, dry bedding and a good water barrier to warn of intruders.

I have noticed that the bed is used in pretty much any wind direction being that it is surrounded by water and the deer could escape out the opposite direction at any time.

When I first found this bed about 4-5 years ago there was a 150" buck bedding there quite a bit and shared the small island with a yearling buck acting like a sentry. He bedded on the mainland side and if spooked he would alert the big buck and he would sneak out the back side. That happened to me a few times before I figured out what was going on. One night as I was climbing down my tree at closing the big buck suddenly was under my tree and busted me half way down the tree. That was the last time I saw that particular buck. :doh:

Since then I have seen a good variety of bucks actually while bedded or coming out of that bed but never was presented with a shot opportunity. The frustrating thing is that the closest tree with any cover to hang a stand in is about 100 yards away and no real good spot on the ground which is actually muck and water.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:31 pm

Do the bucks usually leave the bed in the same direction/same trail, wind based? Food based? Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions.......just trying to learn and improve.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:48 pm

I haven't really figured out a pattern and have seen them go every direction except south no matter what the wind direction was. South is nothing but water and cattails for miles.

When I look at the bedding island on aerials the trails look like spokes in a wheel with entry/access from every direction even south.

Seems like it should be easy but it's been a real tough one to figure out. Not many options for stands makes it tough and gives the bucks every advantage.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:19 pm

Sounds like a tough situation.

xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:22 pm

Productive day!

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:41 pm

Great thread. Pictures of buck beds helps everyone understand better.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BGHUNTER
Facebook: bgrangerhunter@live.com

Unread postby BGHUNTER » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:39 am

Very Cool. Nice scout.
365buckin

Unread postby 365buckin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:15 am

Dewey wrote:Here are a few more pics of beds I found.

Nothing really special about this one. Pretty open area but figured a deer bedded here because of the thick overhead canopy from the pine tree. Good dry bedding I suppose.

This bed in this pic below is directly behind and about 10 yards from the big rub I posted at the top of this thread. This bed has been used for many years by a number of different bucks. This bed has been really good the last 4-5 seasons and I have had some great buck sightings near it. Can't say for sure if the buck that made the big rub is bedding here. Another piece of the puzzle to figure out.

These two beds are in thick cover and may be doe beds.

AWESOME PICS! Anyone out there with pics like these, please post them. All bed pictures really help out.

Thinking about your island bed, what if you packed in an old pallet to sit on the hottest trail. That would give you a platform to put a chair on. This would keep you from sinking in the muck and get you a little closer than the 100 yard mark. Would have to do it in spring though.
Be in the woods as often as you can....and as long as you can!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:27 am

That might work otherwise I have a marsh seat designed for muck that works pretty good. The only problem is the small bedding island is surrounded by water and low cattails that don't offer much at all for cover so I would be exposed pretty easy. It's a very tough spot to hunt and my best bet is to hope for early movement from the bed and stick to the closest cover.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”