New hunting area

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: New hunting area

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:09 am

blizzardhunter wrote:...If your interested we'll remind you when the application time gets here, it is a blast.

If you think you will have room for an extra guy then let me know when it's time to apply.

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:16 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:
blizzardhunter wrote:I see my dad beat me to telling you about the cabins at wranglers, and our camping excursions. The cabins at wranglers are pretty rustic and cheap, great for running a hunting camp out of.

I would rather share a camp, but I would like to hunt near wranglers because there is no gun hunting & I think a lot of hunters may shy away from the area because of the horses walking by.

The actual "No Gun Hunting" area around Wranglers is small. Plus, the closer you get to the heart of Wranglers, the more horses you see and hunters too for the same reasons you want to go there. Fall (Oct / Nov) is a really good time to be outside down here. Beautiful weather, and that means more people on horseback. In my opinion, the farther you can get away from there, the better. It used to be really good hunting down there until the horses got big.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:27 am

Southern Man wrote:The actual "No Gun Hunting" area around Wranglers is small. Plus, the closer you get to the heart of Wranglers, the more horses you see and hunters too for the same reasons you want to go there. Fall (Oct / Nov) is a really good time to be outside down here. Beautiful weather, and that means more people on horseback. In my opinion, the farther you can get away from there, the better. It used to be really good hunting down there until the horses got big.

Now some horse riding association is pushing to criss cross Pennyrile with hundreds of miles of new horse trails. They don't mind using the land, but they don't want to pay for any of it. They let hunters do that.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:49 pm

I have no problem with anyone who has horses or enjoys riding them.....However, now that that is out of the way, I can't stand the ones who ride most public land. By law they are supposed to stay on trails, so I still tried to hunt the North edge of area 10 even though 2 of the most popular trails come through there. Even though I was a few hundred yards from the nearest trail I still had some come down the ridge beside me. You can walk down the trails and find an endless supply of empty beer cans, snack cake rappers, ect. I guess it just shows the lack of respect, not just riders but most people have for the land these days. I'm only 28, and yes most people in my age group are careless, but I can not stand people littering, especially a beautiful natural area like lbl.

Now that my little rant is over, I would say the least hunted and least accessed area of LBL is area 9. Its exteremly steep (for around here) and has virtually no fields anywhere. It is a place even during the quota hunt that looks like a ghost town. Very seldom does anyone hunt it but when someone brings a buck out it is a nice one.

I know its hard for a lot of people to believe but LBL is barely hunted these days, especially regular bow season. They majority that do hunt it hunt the sign off the crop fields 75 yards inside the woods edge. They will hunt once or twice and not come back. We have found that if you have to go up a decent ridge right off the roadside or have more than a half mile walk into the timber you are virtually by yourself. That is usually the case on the quota hunt as well. I really dont believe there is anywhere up there that you can go wrong if you hunt smart or put in a little effort.

I'll remind you of the quota hunt come July, we always have room for a hunter from up North.

We mainly look for an area away from fields that is around a half mile minimum from the nearest road. The last couple of years this has been producing more deer sitings and better quality deer sitings.
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:54 pm

Another question for me is are the buck beds usually few and far between. What I mean is like the ridgeline pic I posted. Would it be rare to find 2 or 3 well used bed sites on that ridge. Especially form different bucks. I know usually mature bucks prefer their space, so if I found multiple beds that showed frequent use on that ridge would it likely be the same buck.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:00 pm

I would expect to find multiple beds in the area for different wind directions. Different bucks will often use the same bed. If a more dominant buck comes along the subordinate buck will leave the bed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”