Who's been out scouting?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Who's been out scouting?

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:46 am

Who all has been out scouting? What ya finding? We got a short window now till green up.
Its a great time to reflect on the bucks you saw during the season, that you did not have a grasp on where they were bedded exactly, or reflect on the hunches you had during the season about possible bedding, and now is the time to go look at the beds, trails, and sign and see exactly what was going on...

PLB
500 Club

Re: Who's been out scouting?

Unread postby PLB » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:50 am

I've been busy with basketball but get a break next weekend!! I will be out scouting!!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Stevew77

Unread postby Stevew77 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:53 am

i will be out all morning tomorrow checking out my old stomping grounds at the local gameland. I hunted there twice last year and saw deer both times but didnt scout the first bit. Now that i have a better unbderstanding of bedding im curious as to what i find tomorrow
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:08 pm

I've been out the past two weekends, found some likely looking beds, and lots of large tracks. Rumor has it a big one was in the area this past fall, not sure if it survived, but am planning on finding as much prime bedding as possible.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:09 pm

Been out scouting pretty much every chance I get on weekends since the season ended. Been really nice since much of the snow melted but now we added more the last few days. Back to snow tracking again following them to their bedding areas.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:13 pm

ive been scouting scene gun hunting ,over looking some found spots and looking and going over new areas...ive been to western wisconsin 5 times allready this winter looking good over there! ive been hitting the marshes hard, know that the snow has melted....been kicking up alot of deer in weird spots :think:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:20 pm

BigHunt wrote:ive been scouting scene gun hunting ,over looking some found spots and looking and going over new areas...ive been to western wisconsin 5 times allready this winter looking good over there! ive been hitting the marshes hard, know that the snow has melted....[glow=red]been kicking up alot of deer in weird spots[/glow]:think:

Been that way all this past season especially in most marshes with pretty much no water. Winter bedding too is usually very scattered and will likely change by early season. Still good to key in on the primary beds that will be used pretty much all year.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:00 pm

I was out today walking my property. A few deer can make lots of tracks.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:02 pm

Spysar wrote:I was out today walking my property. A few deer can make lots of tracks.

Yes! Especially does and fawns! They seem to wander all over aimlessly????

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:02 pm

Dewey wrote:
BigHunt wrote:ive been scouting scene gun hunting ,over looking some found spots and looking and going over new areas...ive been to western wisconsin 5 times allready this winter looking good over there! ive been hitting the marshes hard, know that the snow has melted....[glow=red]been kicking up alot of deer in weird spots[/glow]:think:

Been that way all this past season especially in most marshes with pretty much no water. Winter bedding too is usually very scattered and will likely change by early season. Still good to key in on the primary beds that will be used pretty much all year.

i agree even during season , deer were not bedding in most of the areas i found last winter due to the drought we had this summer ...but areas i did find last winter that had good sign and seen deer this season must be primary bedding ....matter of fact there was two different spots i hunted in early and mid season and seen deer on both hunts at both bedding areas!....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:07 pm

BigHunt wrote:
Dewey wrote:

i agree even during season , deer were not bedding in most of the areas i found last winter due to the drought we had this summer ...but areas i did find last winter that had good sign and seen deer this season must be primary bedding ....matter of fact there was two different spots i hunted in early and mid season and seen deer on both hunts at both bedding areas!....

This past season they were bedding in the middle of cattails that would normally be under a few feet of water. Made pin pointing some beds very difficult since they were in random spots.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:14 pm

Dewey wrote:
BigHunt wrote:
Dewey wrote:

This past season they were bedding in the middle of cattails that would normally be under a few feet of water. Made pin pointing some beds very difficult since they were in random spots.

yup i seen that when we did some drives gun hunting and the deer were randomly bedded in the cattails with no cover ,were ever they wanted it seemed.. i hope this season there is some water so bedding is not as random
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Treeshark

Unread postby Treeshark » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:29 pm

I got out today shortly before a pretty nice little snow started. I hit up a brand new area that I've never been to the "back-side" of because it requires crossing a small river- since it is now frozen I thought this would be a nice spot to hit. I wasn't impressed with the "front" side of this area when I've scouted in the past, just open woods and its pretty featureless. However, today I got to the far reaches of the spot and found a spot that was loaded with rubs (couldn't really see scrapes because of the snow). The cool thing was that this was the exact area that I had predicted would have decent sign based on some cyber-scouting I did of this area. It looks like it could be a staging area between a thick grassy area (I presume a bedding area) and a crop field. Still a lot more work to do, but it was a nice start and a nice day out in the woods!

Oh yeah, Jackson Marsh- I saw a ton of yote tracks today too. Makes me think the ol' .243 and the rabbit-in-distress call might enjoy accompanying me on my next trip! :D
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:36 pm

I scouted some river bottom land this am hoping to find sign from a decent 10 point that I knew was bedding there during season. I found only doe beds no buck beds or even tracks, so at this point I don't know if he is even alive. I did find something interesting by the river though. There was a small piece of open water and next to it up on the ice there was blood and what looked like animal innards. I am assuming there is an otter living there. I had a trail cam along and set it up there, hopefully I will get some interesting pics in the next week.
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:37 pm

I've been out a few afternoons scouting likely looking spots that I've found on topos and aerials. It's been a lot of fun seeing what the ground looks like after marking up a map.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”