Scouting with a friend

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Darin
500 Club
Posts: 1169
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: WI
Status: Offline

Re: Scouting with a friend

Unread postby Darin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:29 pm

Nice buck Stan. What kind of set was that buck taken out of? Bed, travel route to or from?


User avatar
MOBIGBUCKS
Posts: 3001
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:21 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Scouting with a friend

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:57 am

I like scouting alone. It's extremely important to slow down and actually read what the deer sign is telling you.

It is really hard to find someone that is out there to scout for the same reasons and motivations as you. Most of the people I have scouted with just end up shed hunting instead :)
Darin
500 Club
Posts: 1169
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: WI
Status: Offline

Re: Scouting with a friend

Unread postby Darin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:12 pm

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I like scouting alone. It's extremely important to slow down and actually read what the deer sign is telling you.

It is really hard to find someone that is out there to scout for the same reasons and motivations as you. Most of the people I have scouted with just end up shed hunting instead :)

Been there...
admiral04
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:34 pm
Location: Warren, Pa
Status: Offline

Re: Scouting with a friend

Unread postby admiral04 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:17 pm

This is my scouting partner. He would be pretty upset if i went without him and he doesn tell anyone about what we find. If i could teach him to get in a treestand id take him hunting too. Image

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
User avatar
xpauliber
500 Club
Posts: 1726
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 4:41 am
Location: Central PA
Status: Offline

Re: Scouting with a friend

Unread postby xpauliber » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:53 pm

My younger brother is into archery almost as much as I am. I really enjoy spending time afield with him. When we scout together, we start by meeting at one of our houses and checking out maps to formulate a game plan. Out in the woods, we execute the plan we came up with and we both are about 20 yards apart. If one of us find a spot that we think is good, we ask the other what they think and compare our initial thoughts.

He hasn't shot many bucks with a bow so I hope to help him get on a buck in a spot we scout together. That would mean as much to me at this point as shooting one myself.
User avatar
Jackson Marsh
Moderator
Posts: 16611
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:11 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: Scouting with a friend

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:53 pm

Almost always scout by myself.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
whitetail007
500 Club
Posts: 2118
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:59 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: Scouting with a friend

Unread postby whitetail007 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:49 am

always by myself.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
User avatar
MOBIGBUCKS
Posts: 3001
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:21 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Scouting with a friend

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:10 am

I'm seeing a trend.... :D
User avatar
ONE UP
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:54 pm
Location: Washington Co. WI
Status: Offline

Re: Scouting with a friend

Unread postby ONE UP » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:26 am

always alone. none of my friends scout.... they would just screw it up anyway.
User avatar
Bigb
500 Club
Posts: 937
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:12 am
Status: Offline

Re: Scouting with a friend

Unread postby Bigb » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:15 pm

xpauliber wrote:My younger brother is into archery almost as much as I am. I really enjoy spending time afield with him. When we scout together, we start by meeting at one of our houses and checking out maps to formulate a game plan. Out in the woods, we execute the plan we came up with and we both are about 20 yards apart. If one of us find a spot that we think is good, we ask the other what they think and compare our initial thoughts.

He hasn't shot many bucks with a bow so I hope to help him get on a buck in a spot we scout together. That would mean as much to me at this point as shooting one myself.


I'm the same way. My buddy and I do the 3 hour drive down to where we hunt together. If were out with ou third buddy, were usually 10 to 20 yards apart. Usually we'll have a plan before had and go over everything on an aerial map. When we get out there, we usually get to the spots we want to hunt and kind of spread out a little bit. We all carry a radio was well so we can meet back up or call someone over. Ever person has tendincies, some good, some bad. If i'm in one area, I might gravitate towards one thing while my buddy might go towards another. With two head looking over the same area, you can look it over and then trade thoughts. We only do this type of scouting in the spring or early summer though. I'm after big bucks, but I'm also about enjoying my time when I'm out with my hunting friends. I also don't mind a second opinon on future stand sites.
User avatar
Hodag Hunter
500 Club
Posts: 3834
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:14 pm
Location: Northern WI
Status: Offline

Re: Scouting with a friend

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:47 pm

I mainly scout alone but like to mark up maps and then share over the internet/phone and pictures what I find.

Have scouted with others....some guys just don't get it while others are part deer and work the crap out of me walking for days. ;)

Other times my son tags along......really gets my spark going teaching him the finer details of walking in the woods. My son has expressed a lot more interest this year to scout and hunt different areas this year. He will be 12 and with hunters safety will be able to be on his own(ear shot).

Kind of makes me proud he wants to hit "the big woods".... as he says, this spring to find his "own spots" with little help from me.
User avatar
Jackson Marsh
Moderator
Posts: 16611
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:11 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: Scouting with a friend

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:51 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:I mainly scout alone but like to mark up maps and then share over the internet/phone and pictures what I find.

Have scouted with others....some guys just don't get it while [glow=red]others are part deer and work the crap out of me walking for days. ;)[/glow]
Other times my son tags along......really gets my spark going teaching him the finer details of walking in the woods. My son has expressed a lot more interest this year to scout and hunt different areas this year. He will be 12 and with hunters safety will be able to be on his own(ear shot).

Kind of makes me proud he wants to hit "the big woods".... as he says, this spring to find his "own spots" with little help from me.




Sounds like you've had to keep up with Dan for a day :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Hodag Hunter
500 Club
Posts: 3834
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:14 pm
Location: Northern WI
Status: Offline

Re: Scouting with a friend

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:04 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Hodag Hunter wrote:I mainly scout alone but like to mark up maps and then share over the internet/phone and pictures what I find.

Have scouted with others....some guys just don't get it while [glow=red]others are part deer and work the crap out of me walking for days. ;)[/glow]
Other times my son tags along......really gets my spark going teaching him the finer details of walking in the woods. My son has expressed a lot more interest this year to scout and hunt different areas this year. He will be 12 and with hunters safety will be able to be on his own(ear shot).

Kind of makes me proud he wants to hit "the big woods".... as he says, this spring to find his "own spots" with little help from me.




Sounds like you've had to keep up with Dan for a day :lol: :lol:


Yep. Scouting with Dan....I think his legs are 6' long.

Scouting with Magic....he's just a scrawny little bugger :lol: .... but moves thru the woods like the energizer bunny. He NEVER runs out of energy walking in the bush.
User avatar
Ridgerunner7
500 Club
Posts: 1483
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: Scouting with a friend

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:15 am

I'd say 95% of the time I scout alone. Most of my friends don't really scout much due to other obligations. We often take scouting trips out of state where we will be hunting as a small group of 2-3 guys. In this case we scout together and work as a team because any buck killed is a success for everyone and any stand location is free for anyone to hunt.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
User avatar
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Posts: 7157
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:11 pm
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473
Location: MidMichigan
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Scouting with a friend

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:39 am

Lone Wolf- I prefer to scout alone even when out of state. That's just my make up and what I prefer, even when it would be more productive to include others (out of state, for example).

Image


  • Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Strut22 and 2 guests