Topo Spots NOT for the "lazy" hunter

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
backstraps

Topo Spots NOT for the "lazy" hunter

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:55 am

While reading on a few threads today, I came across something that struck my curiousity.

I have read several members mention getting away from the ordinary hunter spots on public. Finding area that the "lazy" hunter will not make it to. Either due to the length of walk, or terrain. The terrain features is what im looking for.

Could yall elaborate on these types of spots better, and possibly post topo examples? I know most you guys dont like to post up maps showing examples...
If you have some you could share it makes it so much easier for me to understand what to look for.

I have many stored topo maps of public ground I could post if it would be better for you to share info using a map not related to your own hunting grounds.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Topo Spots NOT for the "lazy" hunter

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:01 am

In the marshy areas I hunt 90% of the hunters won't cross water...
In hill country, they won't walk a mile or more...
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:52 am

dan wrote:In the marshy areas I hunt 90% of the hunters won't cross water...

Dan I hear this all the time, or read it on forums. I have heard it in Ohio and I just dont see areas you can go over a mile. Sure you can walk 1 mile, but your only 1/2 mile from the road on the other side. If these areas exist, I havent found them yet. Are you talking about having to walk around a wet area or something, making your total distance over a mile, or as the crow fly's?
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:26 am

muck and water are an excellent human barriers, then add in a long walk and 99% of hunters are cut out of the equation.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:33 am

kenn1320 wrote:

Dan I hear this all the time, or read it on forums. I have heard it in Ohio and I just dont see areas you can go over a mile. Sure you can walk 1 mile, but your only 1/2 mile from the road on the other side. If these areas exist, I havent found them yet. Are you talking about having to walk around a wet area or something, making your total distance over a mile, or as the crow fly's?

I head to spots that are over a mile just about every time I hunt and rarely see another hunter. This year being so dry in the marsh I do see more guys being much more brave and going much deeper. As a matter of fact right now looking through my binocs I can see a guy setting up on the edge of an island about a 1/2 mile from me. That island is just under 1 mile from the nearest road.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:55 am

kenn1320 wrote:

I don't know about where your at... But some of the public properties I hunt have areas over a mile from any road. I was in nearly 2 miles last night.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:29 am

dan wrote:
kenn1320 wrote:

I don't know about where your at... But some of the public properties I hunt have areas over a mile from any road. I was in nearly 2 miles last night.

Im talking about ohio, but you wont find big areas in MI slp either. Ocasionally you will get a 2sq mile section, which is 2miles long, 1 mile wide. Areas I hunt in KS, same way. Everything is grid/sections. I guess in WI you guys have vast marsh, so no roads. Ive been in the UP of MI and sure there werent roads every sq mile, but 2 tracks seemed to be common.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:35 am

A lot of the places I hunt in Northern Wisconsin are road crossed every mile or two also... I think they put in a lot of gravel roads for access if there is a fire. But if you look around, there are a few spots that still get a little remote.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:22 pm

You know this is a tactic I have not really payed much attention to. I have given thought about getting as far back from the access point as possible, but not actually looking at a map and deciding to hunt somewhere because I can get "way" back away from others.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”