Rubs morning or evening?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Rubs morning or evening?

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:43 am

Ive found a bunch of scrapes in a spot which Ive been waiting to hunt since opener. Tonight is the first time Im going in. Ive got acorns and scrapes in this spot and the wind I need.

My question: If you find a line of rubs coming or going from the scrape but only one side of the tree is marked does this mean that the bucks made those rubs either going to the scrape or back to bedding? Im assuming so just want feedback. Basically Im trying to figure out if the buck is using that rub line in the morning or evenings. The neat part is I have two rub lines and one looks like it was marked up going to the scrapes and the other looks like the buck marked it going back to bed. Could be the same buck. For as many rubs there are it seems to be a 2.5 yr old. However I did find one hip high rub by itself in this area. There is a total of 8 scrapes in this area with one community scrape. Its hot right now so Im going in.

Swampthing
500 Club

Re: Rubs morning or evening?

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:59 am

If the rubbed side is faceing bedding than he came from bedding. If the rubbed side is faceing food then he just came from food. Sometimes the tree will get rubbed on both sides indicating a buck uses that same path to exit bedding and back again . But for me I usually find two seperate travel paths marked with rubs .
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:01 am

I wouldn't be in there looking around unless I was hunting the same evening...
As far as the rubs go, I think your assumption is correct.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:08 am

Another point to consider on the rubs your spotting is the amount of rubbed trees. IF your finding a ton of rubs on a rubline than it's proably a younger deer . Each year it seems the amount of rubs seem to be cut in half or more. The big buck will leave less and less sign each year.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:25 pm

dan wrote:I wouldn't be in there looking around unless I was hunting the same evening...
As far as the rubs go, I think your assumption is correct.

I drove through on the 4wheeler yesterday so I woudlnt leave human scent on the ground, the deer seem to tolerate 4 wheeler use. However, I sat there tonight and didnt see anything. Maybe that 4 wheeler ride is all it took to keep them bedded longer or bed somewhere else. I learned a good lesson and paid for it.

I also thought maybe the area is more active in the morning but Im leaning towards my pressure as having alot to do with it.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:27 pm

Swampthing wrote:Another point to consider on the rubs your spotting is the amount of rubbed trees. IF your finding a ton of rubs on a rubline than it's proably a younger deer . Each year it seems the amount of rubs seem to be cut in half or more. The big buck will leave less and less sign each year.

I agree...I think its mostly the work of a 2 yr old. However I did find one high rub.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:29 pm

Even when riding on a four wheeler your leaving some scent.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”