Figuring out a bed

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rochester coops

Figuring out a bed

Unread postby rochester coops » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:40 pm

Lets hear what you look for and how you put the clues together. When do they use a certain bed? Which direction or trail do they come in on, which do they leave?

Brandon
500 Club

Re: Figuring out a bed

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:22 am

there are many threads on here that cover those topics, and many others related to them.

I would do a search, read... read & read, then ask more specific questions. Also, the DVDs would help a ton!
You can't kill em on the couch
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:26 am

rochester coops wrote:Lets hear what you look for and how you put the clues together. When do they use a certain bed? Which direction or trail do they come in on, which do they leave?

Looking closely at the food sources nearest the bed and what food sources are currently being hit is the main tactic... Spot checking those food sources for big buck sign is a good way to know when to hunt a particular bed.
rochester coops

Unread postby rochester coops » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:58 pm

I did some more scouting yesterday, Yeah I know its really late, but I've got a demanding job and a wife and 4 kids that keep me pretty busy. So I haven't had a lot of time this spring. I found lots of beds, but only jumped one deer that I know of. Probably were more I didn't see, but wasn't real pleased to find all these beds and no deer.

I agree food probably is the biggest factor here, then as pressure sets in will change things up. Was wondering what others have observed with things like heat/cold/wind/rain or whatever else changes their location, like from cattails to grass to open woods, points, etc. I believe I read they usually travel uphill to bed more often than coming down to the bed.

I have the marsh dvd and know Dan covered entry/exit trails, but was hoping to start a little more discussion here about how to best determine what is what. I noticed one of these beds had a trail with fresh droppings on it not far from the bed. I know that doesn't really prove anything but that a deer pooped there, but wondered if the deer was more likely to poop just after rising = exit?

Also, is the direction if the broken vegetation pretty reliable for the direction of travel, or are they just as likely to use the same trail going in and out?

Some beds have a single trail off one direction and 2 or 3 on the other side.

Don't expect anyone to 'figure it all out' for me with these few clues, just interested in seeing some more discussion on putting the pieces together.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:00 pm

Some beds are best hunted as a team with a partner... Each covering an exit. As far as hunting alone on bedding areas where you don't know which way the buck is going. Look at the sign. The trail with the fresh sign is likely the one he is useing. There will be more sign on the trail leaving then on the ones coming in.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”