Who keeps a scouting journal?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Southern Man
500 Club

Re: Who keeps a scouting journal?

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:57 am

Hey Zap, can you not have your drawings scanned and then download to the pc? I've done that accasionally. Topo maps are not very accurate as far as woods lines are concerned. Plus I like my drawings better :mrgreen:

A scouting journal is a huge asset. If you hunt alot of land it's hard to remember all the details.

You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:45 am

Thats a good idea.

:mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:25 am

Does anyone use a handheld GPS? I don't own one and have never really used one. But I think it would be great to have one with aerial / topo maps. One could mark beds with huntable trees and also mark rut sign, funnels, doe beds, etc.

I do the map deal and I am CAD literate for my job so I draw everything in electronic format, but I would like to start adding points into a handheld GPS so I do not have to rely on my memory while trying to find the right tree in the dark.
"In the deed, the glory"
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:17 am

I have a bottom of the barrel gps. My droid app... Cabelas Recon is a gps app with aerials, topos, photos, videos, notes, ballistics... its an awesome tool turning my phone into probably better than most gps hunting devices you could buy.

Lately I have been thinking about getting rid of my droid due to the data plan cost. I would miss the tools way too much.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:32 am

jakedeaver wrote:Does anyone use a handheld GPS? I don't own one and have never really used one. But I think it would be great to have one with aerial / topo maps. One could mark beds with huntable trees and also mark rut sign, funnels, doe beds, etc.

I do the map deal and I am CAD literate for my job so I draw everything in electronic format, but I would like to start adding points into a handheld GPS so I do not have to rely on my memory while trying to find the right tree in the dark.

I just got one of those garmin 550s I'm hoping that solves my problems similar to yours. So far it seems like a sweet unit though I have barely played with it. Hoping to download topo maps and use it this spring while scouting.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:38 am

jlh42581 wrote:I have a bottom of the barrel gps. My droid app... Cabelas Recon is a gps app with aerials, topos, photos, videos, notes, ballistics... its an awesome tool turning my phone into probably better than most gps hunting devices you could buy.

Lately I have been thinking about getting rid of my droid due to the data plan cost. I would miss the tools way too much.

Do they have aerials for WI?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:10 am

Public Land Beast wrote:
jlh42581 wrote:I have a bottom of the barrel gps. My droid app... Cabelas Recon is a gps app with aerials, topos, photos, videos, notes, ballistics... its an awesome tool turning my phone into probably better than most gps hunting devices you could buy.

I assume youre talking about cabelas recon? Yes, its powered by google maps for aerials and hybrid views. The topos come from my topo. Anywhere they have data for in the world, is at your fingers.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:17 am

jlh42581 wrote:
Public Land Beast wrote:

I assume youre talking about cabelas recon? Yes, its powered by google maps for aerials and hybrid views. The topos come from my topo. Anywhere they have data for in the world, is at your fingers.

Is that the app for like 3.99? Does it work good? I've been thinking about getting this app for awhile now.

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:11 pm

i for got about this thread so i thought i would share my binder

real simple, i have the public and privet separated with tab dividers. i also have the public marked in florescent green tabs and privet in orange tabs, i have the name on the tab so i know what land im looking at

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:13 pm

That binder has me inspired to get my stuff organized, lookin good bighunt! Do you keep the maps sorted by area? I have a couple messy folders in a one of those hanging file boxes and I have a different folder for different parts of the state. I like your binder though..I need to get my stuff together that looks pretty nice.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:16 pm

Zap wrote:To make a diagram of the property...then add where I find stands/beds/rub lines/scrapes/entrance exit/whatever.

I will do it and take some pics....give me a few days.

So I taped some tracing paper to the moniter, traced what I wanted and the added some stuff to it....
As I find things that I want to note I can add them....

Maybe a help, maybe just better to print out a topo....this way may be less of a clutter to view...

We will see. :mrgreen:
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:22 pm

Zap wrote:
Zap wrote:To make a diagram of the property...then add where I find stands/beds/rub lines/scrapes/entrance exit/whatever.

I will do it and take some pics....give me a few days.

So I taped some tracing paper to the moniter, traced what I wanted and the added some stuff to it....
As I find things that I want to note I can add them....

Maybe a help, maybe just better to print out a topo....this way may be less of a clutter to view...

We will see. :mrgreen:

:? :? :? :? i think ill stick with my topos and aerial in my binder.....thanks for sharing zap
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:24 pm

:whistle:
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:24 pm

Zap wrote::whistle:

:lol: it ok marty you did good
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:27 pm

:think:

As I see it....it is hard to make notes on an aerial or topo and be able to see what you mark.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”